Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
chemqueries

Default Telephone wiring question

I thought that when hooking up a phone, the important wires are the red
and the green. I thought that the red wire from the phone line is
supposed to be coupled with the red wire in the wall jack, and the
green wire from the phone line is supposed to be coupled with the green
in the wall jack. Today I examined the wires inside the jack box, and I
see that a tan/white wire from the phone line is coupled with the red
in the wall jack box, and a blue wire from the line was coupled with
the green wire in the box. I tried to re-do the pairings by matching
the red from the line with the red in the box and a green from the line
with the green in the box, but when I did that, I didn't get a dial
tone. What's going on?