DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Garage Door Opener Remote: Transferring Code To A New One ? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/114197-garage-door-opener-remote-transferring-code-new-one.html)

Robert11 July 21st 05 07:21 PM

Garage Door Opener Remote: Transferring Code To A New One ?

Hello:

Have lost one of our garage door openers, but do have another one
that wife uses.

Have no idea what brand the opener is; nothing on remote.

Is there a "generic" remote we can buy from somewhere, and somehow transfer
the
code from the one we do have to this new one ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

G Henslee July 21st 05 07:24 PM

Robert11 wrote:

Is there a "generic" remote we can buy from somewhere, and somehow transfer
the
code from the one we do have to this new one ?

Yes.

Robert11 July 21st 05 08:44 PM

Hi,

Any idea from where ?

thanks,
Bob
--------------

Fred July 21st 05 09:00 PM

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

Have lost one of our garage door openers, but do have another one
that wife uses.

Have no idea what brand the opener is; nothing on remote.

Is there a "generic" remote we can buy from somewhere, and somehow
transfer the
code from the one we do have to this new one ?

Or,... ?

Thanks,
Bob

You need to know who makes the opener first - look at the opener (the motor
end) there should be a make and model on the nameplate - you may have to
remove the plastic housing.

Remotes are available at hardware places likes Home Depot, Lowes, Sears but
you need to know the transmission frequency so your make and model of your
opener would be essential in locating the right remote.

les July 21st 05 10:25 PM

Fred is right, knowing the maker makes the job easier.
Besides frequency, the newer openers use digital codes to secure
your privacy. Codes can be many bits, and there might be a problem if
the digital "word" is lacking the proper bit length.
Without the manufacturer, you are lucky to hit it correctly in all aspects.
I know that there are four frequency ranges alone that are used in openers,
possibly more.

Les KA9GLW

Wes Stewart July 21st 05 11:59 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 15:44:21 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hi,

Any idea from where ?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

Tim Fischer July 23rd 05 04:39 AM

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi

We have that "clicker" model, and the matching keypad. It works well with
our old Stanley opener (Stanley GDO's are defunct, so there's on OEM parts
anymore...)

You'll need to know what brand you have to program the clicker, though.

-Tim