Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Gerald Nunn

Default Stone foundation and wood shims under floor joists

Hi all,

I bought a 150 year old century home a couple of months ago, the house has a
stone foundation with notched floor joists resting on the foundation. Along
one wall most of the joists have been shimmed with wood towards the inside
of the foundation, towards the rear the joist appears to still be supported
by the foundation. I'm a bit concerned that these wood shims will get
crushed over time and was wondering what sort of longer term solutions would
be used for this. The home inspector suggested poring some new footings and
adding new posts to properly support the joists. He suggested doing this in
conjunction with putting in a more permanent solution to a few jacks that
have been used in the basement. Note the floor is cement but I'm guessing
it's a pretty thin layer since the existing jacks (in other parts of the
house) have been placed on wood planks to spread the load.

Any suggestions or resources to look at with regards to this? I haven't been
able to locate too much info about it myself and I'd prefer to educate
myself a bit before bringing in contractors to offer opinions and bid on
possible work.

Thanks,

Gerald

Cottage - foundation type Chris Home Ownership 3 February 25th 05 11:17 PM
Termites Noah Vail Home Repair 9 December 17th 04 04:05 AM
What fasteners to attach wood 2 x 4 to Cinder block foundation walls Fred Zimmerman Home Repair 7 July 4th 03 10:41 PM