mc

Default HVAC condensate drainage

The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it
should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls
and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed
recently.

Any ideas?

hvactech2

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:39 -0400, "mc"
wrote:

The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it
should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls
and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed
recently.

Any ideas?

We need to know the make and model of the air handler or furnace. If
this is a carrier air handler it could be a sign of a problem with the
refrigerant charge.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
TURTLE

"mc" wrote in message
.. .
The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it
should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls
and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed
recently.

Any ideas?

This is Turtle.

To get a ideal here Do as hvactech2 said and give the info to get a look at it.

TURTLE

lp13-30

If the coil surface is clogged, the water can be blown out of the drain
pan. But as others have suggested, more info needed. Larry

Nick Hull

In article ,
"mc" wrote:

The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it
should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls
and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed
recently.

Any ideas?

There should be a water trap on the drain line to prevent the plenum
suction from blowing water & air inside.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

meirman

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:39 -0400 "mc"
posted:

The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it
should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls

Wow, you know all that? Do you know if it blows off the pan, or
straight from the condensor?

and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed
recently.

Any ideas?

I can only tell you about my AC, a Carrier unit that worked fine the
first few years, maybe a total of 20 or 40 days.

One year I found the water on the floor whenever I used the AC,
leaking out from inside the furnace. I cut a hole and looked inside
and didn't see anything special except the water level in the pan was
high. I cut off the drain, looked for spiderwebs inside, etc. Saw
nothing. Ran water from a garden hose through it, while I watched the
other end. Nothing was flushed out, afaict, but the water ran just
fine as if there were no obstruction. Put it back, worked no better.

Finally, I rearranged the plastic drain. Even though all my neigbors,
afaik, have the same furnace/AC and the drain the same way and they
didn't have this problem. The drain came out an inch, went down nine
inches, then went horizontally to the wall, down to the floor, along
the wall to near the sump pump, and out 2 feet to the sump pump, where
the outlet was open to the air.

I made it so that after it came out an inch, it dropped four feet,
then over to the wall and down to the floor, etc.

Problem solved.

I'm surprised it worked, but I didn't know what else to do.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.