RB

Default roof hurricane clips

Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold my
house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane clips.
I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em now. If it
doesn't, are these things things that can be installed at this point without
it being a major thing?

Travis Jordan

RB wrote:
Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold
my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane
clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em now.

Hurricane straps for the roof / wall connections are fairly easy to
install if you are re-roofing. It isn't impossible to install them
without removing the roof sheating, but it is a lot more difficult and
therefore, a lot more expensive.

If you have a gable-end roof don't forget the gable-end bracing.

More information he
http://www.blueprintforsafety.org/wi...etrofit03.html

Jim Tiberio

"Travis Jordan" wrote in message
. ..
RB wrote:
Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold
my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane
clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em now.

Hurricane straps for the roof / wall connections are fairly easy to
install if you are re-roofing. It isn't impossible to install them
without removing the roof sheating, but it is a lot more difficult and
therefore, a lot more expensive.

If you have a gable-end roof don't forget the gable-end bracing.

I had an addition built and they put hurricane ties in from the inside prior
to sheetrocking.

Travis Jordan

Jim Tiberio wrote:
I had an addition built and they put hurricane ties in from the
inside prior to sheetrocking.

That's a good solution too. But in a retrofit probably more costly than
removing the roof sheathing, unless of course you just had a new roof
installed.....

w_tom

Depends on location. Hurricane clips for homes in NC and
south require extensive access to both roof joists and side
walls. Hurricane clips farther north can be applied if simple
access is available where roof meets 2x4 plate. Access simply
through soffit.

However some shore communities even north of NC now require
second floor wall studs be strapped to first floor studs.
Sounds like your community does not have this requirement.

RB wrote:
Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold
my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane
clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em
now. If it doesn't, are these things things that can be installed
at this point without it being a major thing?

RB,
There are a lot of different clips with different ratings and
applications.
Look at Simpson Strong Tie web site.

As w_tom notes, any location subject to high winds requires a system
that carries the uplift loads from roof to foundation. To be of any
real use, an engineer familiar with residential framing should look at
the existing conditions and make recommendations.

TB

RB

Happens my house is an older one, and, as such, I doubt it has the clips or
tie-downs. The newer ones have to have 'em to be IAW code.

Mike Dobony

"w_tom" wrote in message
Depends on location. Hurricane clips for homes in NC and
south require extensive access to both roof joists and side
walls. Hurricane clips farther north can be applied if simple
access is available where roof meets 2x4 plate. Access simply
through soffit.

However some shore communities even north of NC now require
second floor wall studs be strapped to first floor studs.
Sounds like your community does not have this requirement.

Only if his house does not already have them. He doesn't know if his house
has them. Also, his house may be older than any code requiring them.

RB wrote:
Just found out about some metal gizmos that are supposed to help hold
my house roof down during hurricane winds. They're called hurricane
clips. I'm going to have my house inspected to see if it has 'em
now. If it doesn't, are these things things that can be installed
at this point without it being a major thing?

Get a New Roof But Don't Add Any Ventilation? Jay Chan Home Repair 12 March 30th 04 05:16 PM
FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 10:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry Home Repair 3 February 25th 04 02:43 PM