DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Freezer has crack (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/113591-freezer-has-crack.html)

[email protected] July 15th 05 12:24 AM

Freezer has crack

I have a standard upright freezer, opened it and realized that the kids
must of let one of their "blender creations" fall and smash to the
bottom, where there was sticky mess of honey and raspberry.

In the fall, the blender must have struck the bottom at an angle,
because now there is a 3/4" crack in the plastic at the bottom of the
freezer. This isn't actually the freezer bottom, but part of the
outside plastic that comes up and over the bottom of the freezer and
overlaps maybe 4-6" inside the the freezer.

I'm thinking it probably does not require anything. But maybe I am
wrong? If it does need patching, a glob of marine expoxy to basically
seal it?

At least the marine epoxy heats up pretty good as it sets and I imagine
anything else would have a hard time setting up, unless I turn off the
freezer for a couple of days and I'd rather avoid that....

Edwin Pawlowski July 15th 05 03:25 AM

wrote in message

I'm thinking it probably does not require anything. But maybe I am
wrong? If it does need patching, a glob of marine expoxy to basically
seal it?

At least the marine epoxy heats up pretty good as it sets and I imagine
anything else would have a hard time setting up, unless I turn off the
freezer for a couple of days and I'd rather avoid that....

It can leak some air but it is not a major disaster. Problem is, most
adhesives do not still well to that type of plastic. I'd try the epoxy
since it is not a structural problem, just a matter of sealing it.

TURTLE July 15th 05 05:37 AM

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

This is Turtle.

They have Gray Epoxie by J.B. Weld which cures in 15 minutes.

the only reason you would do anything about this thing is sealing to hold the
air or cool air in.

TURTLE

Appliance Repair Aid July 15th 05 01:14 PM

wrote:
[...]

Hi,

There is some plastic liner repair taps that work well, but they are
not cheap.
Covering it with some silicone or epoxy works well. We usually drill a
small hole at each end of the crack so the crack can not keep on
moving/cracking further.

http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=737538
Epoxy patch kit.

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

[email protected] July 15th 05 04:39 PM

Thanks for the help, folks. Sounds like an epoxy fix is the way to go!

Bill[_103_] September 25th 19 03:14 AM

Freezer has crack

replying to TURTLE, Bill wrote:
this does not work. my freezer still ices up

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ack-13188-.htm

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] September 25th 19 03:46 AM

Freezer has crack

On 9/24/2019 10:14 PM, Bill wrote:
replying to TURTLE, Bill wrote:
this does not work. my freezer still ices up

Well after 14 years from the original post, Turtle is going to be sad
his idea did not work.

micky September 25th 19 09:26 AM

Freezer has crack

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 25 Sep 2019 02:14:01 +0000, Bill
m wrote:

replying to TURTLE, Bill wrote:
this does not work. my freezer still ices up

You shoudn't freeze crack. It dries it out.

And definitely don't re-freeze it.

Frank[_24_] September 25th 19 05:58 PM

Freezer has crack

m wrote:

replying to TURTLE, Bill wrote:
this does not work. my freezer still ices up

You shoudn't freeze crack. It dries it out.

And definitely don't re-freeze it.

I thought that to and had to read the old post.