Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Sasha

Default Cable vs. Satellite

I have been using cable so far but it gets more and more expensive. So
I am weighing options switching to satellite TV. I currently have
Comcast, all but premium channels. I have very nice Sony widescreen
HDTV with built-in HDTV tuner. So HDTV programs are very important for
me including HDTV DVR. I checked DirectTV and Dish network web sites
and I am now confused with their choices and pricing.
Do they offer local channels in HD?
Do they force to buy DVR or I can rent? How much does it cost to rent
DVR? Can it record in HD?
Are local channels included in packages or I have to pay extra for
them?
Is equipment free (Dish, receiver, etc.) or I have to pay rental fee as
well?
How do satellite and cable packages compare? I have now around 200
channels including about a dozen in HD from Comcast. Again I do not
have HBO, Showtime, etc. How much would comparable package cost from
satellite?
Finally, how is satellite quality vs. cable? Does weather effect
reception?
I would like to hear from someone's experience who switched from cable
to satellite. I live in central NJ.