Robert11

Default Flashing Material To use Against Pressure Treated Wood ?

Hello:

I've been told Not to use Aluminum flashing against pressure treated wood.
Apparently the chemicals attack and disolve the Aluminum.

That one should (only) use galvanized steel flashing against
pressure treated wood.

Is this true ?

B.

G Henslee

Robert11 wrote:
Hello:

I've been told Not to use Aluminum flashing against pressure treated wood.
Apparently the chemicals attack and disolve the Aluminum.

That one should (only) use galvanized steel flashing against
pressure treated wood.

Is this true ?

B.

Yep. Here's the word on it.

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00127.asp
Roger Taylor

"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

I've been told Not to use Aluminum flashing against pressure treated wood.
Apparently the chemicals attack and disolve the Aluminum.

That one should (only) use galvanized steel flashing against
pressure treated wood.

Is this true ?

When I use pt wood for fencing, I use all stainless steel pins, nails, and
screws. Aluminum is a very reactive metal, and even zinc coatings will rot
quicker than on normal wood.

Tim Fischer

Look for flashings rated for use over ACQ. They'll typically have a sticker
or special indication.

-Tim

"Roger Taylor" wrote:
"Robert11" wrote in message
Hello:

I've been told Not to use Aluminum flashing against pressure treated
wood. Apparently the chemicals attack and disolve the Aluminum.

That one should (only) use galvanized steel flashing against
pressure treated wood.

Is this true ?

When I use pt wood for fencing, I use all stainless steel pins, nails,
and screws. Aluminum is a very reactive metal, and even zinc coatings
will rot quicker than on normal wood.

I'm not real sure here, but I think I read somewhere that triple coated
ceramic screws are also recommended? Is that same as zinc? I used to hate
welding zinc in factories, caused a lot of breathing probs..hack and hack.

2-biz (fighting the squash bugs today)