Percival P. Cassidy

Default HVAC filters and open windows

Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce
Edwin Pawlowski

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as soon
as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce

Sure, it keeps people working and generates profits for the sellers.

RicodJour

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Thermostat war, huh?

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the
air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if
the windows are open.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce

If allergies are the concern I think you will need electrostatic filter.
As for opening the windows, if it makes you feel good, go ahead. Just
because you are filtering the air at times does not mean you gotta turn
your house into a bubble of sorts. Live life.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
JimL

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 08:36:35 -0400, "Percival P. Cassidy"
wrote:

Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce

You are correct. It makes little sense. But nobody's perfect.

Percival P. Cassidy

On 07/11/05 10:02 am RicodJour tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Thermostat war, huh?

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the
air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if
the windows are open.

No, it's not a thermostat war -- not a tmperature war, anyway. We could
leave the thrmostat set for 75F and set the fan switch to "on" rather
than "auto" and circulate filtered 74-degree air rather than have the
pollen, etc. coming in through the open windows with the unfiltered
74-degree air.

Perce
HeatMan

"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Does it make any sense to buy more expensive filters that are alleged to
reduce allergens when another occupant of the house (the one who suffers
from allergies) insists on turning off the AC and opening windows as
soon as the outside temperature drops below 75F?

Perce

If allergies are the concern I think you will need electrostatic filter.

Some, if not all electrostatic filters can cause problems with the system be
restrictring airflow. Beware....

Greg O

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the
air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if
the windows are open.

Why run the AC when it is 75 F outside? Because the air is humid.
I could never figure out why someone would run the AC all day for comfort,
then open the windows and fill the house with humid air. If the humidity is
low then no problem. I won't open them 'till 60-65F.
Greg

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Greg O wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the
air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if
the windows are open.

Why run the AC when it is 75 F outside? Because the air is humid.
I could never figure out why someone would run the AC all day for comfort,
then open the windows and fill the house with humid air. If the humidity is
low then no problem. I won't open them 'till 60-65F.
Greg

Because they enjoy having the windows open. Simple pleasure.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Wes Stewart

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:14:45 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"
wrote:

Greg O wrote:
"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...

Why would you want the AC on if it's below 75 anyway? You can have the
air filtered without using an AC, but filtering the air is pointless if
the windows are open.

Why run the AC when it is 75 F outside? Because the air is humid.
I could never figure out why someone would run the AC all day for comfort,
then open the windows and fill the house with humid air. If the humidity is
low then no problem. I won't open them 'till 60-65F.
Greg

Because they enjoy having the windows open. Simple pleasure.

It was reported that Richard Nixon would crank the thermostat down and
have a fire lit in the White House in the summer.

Jimmy Carter cranked it down in the winter and wore a sweater.

I still not sure which of the two was nuttier. [g]

Wes in Tucson, where it's estimated the temp will be 110 today (a
record for the date) and the dew point will be in the 30's.

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Wes Stewart wrote:
On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:14:45 -0400, "CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert"
wrote:

Greg O wrote:

"RicodJour" wrote in message
groups.com...

[...]

I went to school in Texas. They have fans on even during the colder
winter days. I live in Michigan. Here, most people sleep under
comforters (heavy blankets) even in the summertime.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert
Gideon

I think that it is pretty obvious that you already know the answer
to your question.

Many years ago we often gave in to the same temptation - opening
windows on cool evenings "to save some money" and "to get
some fresh air." The first problem is the fact that the cool evening
air may still have very high humidity and the next day when you
turn the AC back on, it will consume a lot of electricity removing
that moisture from your house. Often your electric bill would be
lower by leaving the windows shut on those marginally cool
evenings and you are driving up your electric bill by getting that
"free" evening cool air.

The bigger issue for allergy sufferers is the fact that it is often very
stupid to let the allergins into the house. By analogy, it generally
takes 6 months after pets have been removed from a house before
the allergins related to them are no longer bothering family members.
Obviously airbourne allergins won't take 6 months to remove, but
without a very outstanding HEPA filtering system and a furnace fan
set to run 24 hours a day, you probably don't have the windows closed
long enough to provide allergy relief before the next time the family
member opens the windows again.

If a family member insists on opening windows in the evening,
then I would pretend to be installing more expensive filters while
actually buying cheaper, marginally acceptable filters. Why waste
money humoring somebody who is ignoring reality?

I notice that you are already getting advice from somebody who
questions why you would run the AC when the temp is below 75.
Perhaps because it is your home, your comfort level & your money.

You're also getting bright advise "Just because you are filtering the
air at times does not mean you gotta turn your house into a bubble
of sorts. Live life." This is obviously from somebody who is ignorant
of the suffering that others can go through because of allergies.
And certainly this is somebody who has never had to rush a child
to the ER at 3AM due to an asthma attack. Some folks have to turn
their homes into bubble homes to "survive." Anybody who can't
understand that fact is a moron.

Off on a tangent - I hope that your family member is getting optimal
medical treatment for allergies. Flonase and Loratadine (ie, Claratin)
are cheap and extremely effective for many people. For some, they
are miracle drugs.

Good luck,
Gideon