Harry Muscle

Default Urethanes and water resistance

I was wondering if anyone could comment on which one is more water
resistant (personal experiences welcome, but scientific information
would be ideal)

Oil-modified urethane
OR
Catalyzed water based urethane (ie: like Traffic by Bona)

I'm going to have my floors redone and since I'm planning on getting
fish tanks, I'd like to get which ever finish is considered most water
resistant. Obvioulsy none are water proof, but which finish would
stand up best to a small spill that might have gotten missed and sat on
the floor for a day or two until it evaporated.

Thanks,
Harry

Hopkins

No experience with water based. I have oil urethane on my oak floors --
that was the typical thing. There are no problems with water spills or
tracking in snow.

Edwin Pawlowski

"Hopkins" wrote in message
oups.com...
No experience with water based. I have oil urethane on my oak floors --
that was the typical thing. There are no problems with water spills or
tracking in snow.

Supposedly, once cured they are equal. Water based does not yellow when
applied like oil based.

Harry Muscle

I know for sure normal water based urethane is no where near equal to
oil based urethane when it comes to dealing with water spills.
However, I'm wondering if catalyzed water based urethane doesn't suffer
from the same problem.

Thanks,
Harry