Bob_M

Default Electrical/Sensor Switch Suggestions/Recommendations?

I'm finally getting around to installing an auxiliary fan in my dryer
vent line. I'm planning on using a 12V inline bilge blower fan
available from marine accessory dealers (west marine, boat US, etc).
My dryer uses a flexible aluminum hose for the first 6-8 feel then it
connects to a rigid aluminum vent mounted horizontally under my deck
and exits 18' later. While this works well and gets the moisture
well away the drying times have increased somewhat. A previous post
to this group recommended several "boost" alternatives and the bilge
blower make the most sense as it is moisture resistant.

The blower will be installed inline between the flexible hose and the
rigit vent pipe (same diameter of 4"). Being 12V it will be powered
by a transformer connected to AC.

So, here's where my question comes in... in lieu of a hard switch
located at the dryer location, does anyone know of a type of switch
that will detect when the power is on to the dryer. I am aware of
moisture sensors, electrical load sensors, etc., but does anyone know
of anything that will allow the 12V transformer or blower to be
activated when the dryer is on and deactivated when the dryer goes
off?

Thanks in advance for all your terrific suggestions!

Bob
RBM

Anything you get is going to require integrating with the dryer,probably
with a relay because of the low voltage blower. IMO if you got a dryer vent
booster like this one: http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dryer_vent.htm
you just plug it in and it's automatic
"Bob_M" wrote in message
[...]

Joseph Meehan

Bob_M wrote:
I'm finally getting around to installing an auxiliary fan in my dryer
vent line. I'm planning on using a 12V inline bilge blower fan
available from marine accessory dealers (west marine, boat US, etc).

I suggest you get one of the available over the counter dryer vent
booster fans.

I got one from Winans Electric Motor last January, cost me less than
$170 total and came complete. It works well and was easy to install. It
has a pressure switch to turn it on and off.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Bob_M

Thanks gents;
You both referenced the same vent booster fan assembly with integrated
automatic switch. Sounds like a much better plan than my own. I
definitely will try this one.

Thanks again.

Bob
Bennett Price

Two possibilities come to mind - tie the xformer into the motor of the
dryer - whenever the dryer spins, the xformer gets power. Alternately,,
install a sail switch - a small switch to which a large 'paddle' or sail
is attached - the air from the dryer pushes the switch into the on position.