Jim85CJ

Default Leaky drain

I'm almost certain that the drain in the tub in my master bath is
leaking (the ceiling in the garage directly below the tun is stained).
Before I knock a hole in the ceiling to check where the leak is I'd like
to try to fix it from within the tub. Does it make sense that the water
could be going around the outside of the drain? Can I just unscrew the
drain, putty around it and reinstall?
Speedy Jim

Jim85CJ wrote:

I'm almost certain that the drain in the tub in my master bath is
leaking (the ceiling in the garage directly below the tun is stained).
Before I knock a hole in the ceiling to check where the leak is I'd like
to try to fix it from within the tub. Does it make sense that the water
could be going around the outside of the drain? Can I just unscrew the
drain, putty around it and reinstall?

Risky.
Is there an access panel behind the tub where you could
make an inspection from?

The part below the tub is called the "shoe" drain and
there is a rubber gasket between it and the tub bottom.
Unscrewing the strainer from the shoe can be very
difficult if it is corroded in there. And there is the
danger of the twisting forces causing leaks elsewhere.

I wouldn't jump into this one...

Jim
Don Young

I would not think that location for the leak was the most likely and
attempting to reseal it would be somewhat risky. Pipe connections are more
likely. If a shower is used it is possible that the leak is from the shower,
possibly thru the wall at the faucet handle, around the tub overflow, thru a
crack in the surround grout or caulking or even splash outside the tub thru
a crack in the floor. If the ceiling below is drywall then opening it for
inspection would be easily repaired. You might even put in some sort of
inspection door.
Don Young

"Jim85CJ" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'm almost certain that the drain in the tub in my master bath is leaking
(the ceiling in the garage directly below the tun is stained). Before I
knock a hole in the ceiling to check where the leak is I'd like to try to
fix it from within the tub. Does it make sense that the water could be
going around the outside of the drain? Can I just unscrew the drain,
putty around it and reinstall?

Curly Sue

Also, check the estuchan(sp?) of the bathtub faucet. Yesterday I saw
an "Ask This Old House" and the estuchan (that round thing around the
faucet) needed to be repacked with plumbers putty and that stopped the
homeowner's leak. It also made me aware that the weep hole(?) on the
estuchan in my tub is not facing down :

Don Young wrote:
I would not think that location for the leak was the most likely and
attempting to reseal it would be somewhat risky. Pipe connections are more
likely. If a shower is used it is possible that the leak is from the shower,
possibly thru the wall at the faucet handle, around the tub overflow, thru a
crack in the surround grout or caulking or even splash outside the tub thru
a crack in the floor. If the ceiling below is drywall then opening it for
inspection would be easily repaired. You might even put in some sort of
inspection door.
Don Young

"Jim85CJ" wrote in message
hlink.net...

I'm almost certain that the drain in the tub in my master bath is leaking
(the ceiling in the garage directly below the tun is stained). Before I
knock a hole in the ceiling to check where the leak is I'd like to try to
fix it from within the tub. Does it make sense that the water could be
going around the outside of the drain? Can I just unscrew the drain,
putty around it and reinstall?

Sue(tm)