Default floor all done

just to close the book on this one...

tile floor all done, looks great.
can't say I did a perfect job, but it still looks like a pro put it in.
when they say watch the water cleaning off excess grout they're not kidding.

out of curiosity...
one tile seems not to of adhered as well to the thinset as all of the
others. You can hear the hollow sound when you tap on it. As odd as this
may sound I remember laying that tile and the bed of thinset was as good as
any of the others. What causes that kind of thing? I'm thinking it may
have been a locally uneven floor but there were a couple of spots like that
and the thinset floated the tiles on them fine except for this one.

anyway, thanks again for all the advice folks provided regarding this.

ml
Dennis Turner

On 6/30/2005 10:17 AM or thereabouts, appears,
somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

just to close the book on this one...

tile floor all done, looks great.
can't say I did a perfect job, but it still looks like a pro put it in.
when they say watch the water cleaning off excess grout they're not kidding.

out of curiosity...
one tile seems not to of adhered as well to the thinset as all of the
others. You can hear the hollow sound when you tap on it. As odd as this
may sound I remember laying that tile and the bed of thinset was as good as
any of the others. What causes that kind of thing? I'm thinking it may
have been a locally uneven floor but there were a couple of spots like that
and the thinset floated the tiles on them fine except for this one.

anyway, thanks again for all the advice folks provided regarding this.

ml

This is extremely common and usually causes no problems unless you drop
something really heavy on it(then it may crack or break). I had one tile
like that in my previous home in the family room that I tiled myself.
After 7 years it was still fine, but still sounded hollow when something
was dropped on it.

My current home's family room has porcelain tile that was installed by a
professional. Hollow sounding tiles abound. I swear there are dozens of
them. Annoying as hell to know that I could have done a better job than
the pro, but I didn't have the time to spare.

--
I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.