Shawn

Default Attic-fan (PAV) suggestions - unvented soffit

I live in a condo, and have major limits on the types of improvements
that I can make. I have an end unit, with a finished loft that is
unbearably hot. If it wasn't for the loft, I'd barely run my air
conditioner throughout the summer. The rest of the condo (first
floor) stays pretty mild with the exception of just a few days in the
summer.

In an attempt to find solutions to the problem I've researched exactly
what is installed. There are no soffit vents - it's just solid
siding-like material with no perforations or venting at all. There
are no gable vents, of course on the one side due to a firewall, and
the outside wall doesn't have one. There is a ridge vent. The
rafters are 2x8, with what looks like about R-19 installed, and I can
see some sytrofoam baffles in some of the cavities.

I'm giving serious consideration to a powered attic ventilator,
although I understand the issues with them and negative pressures.
That seems to be my only option at this point given the fact that I
can't install soffit venting or gable vents.

If anyone has another suggestion that might be more effective I'd love
to hear about it. Thanks.

Shawn
Elkton, MD

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

What are the "negative pressure" issues with attic ventilators? I have one
and would like to know if there is a detrimental effect with using it.

Thanks,
Nate

RBM

I would first check with the condo association to see if they'll let you
cut the roof. I put one in for a condo customer some years ago and they made
him take it out and patch the roof

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

Shawn

Good suggestion. I actually did check with them first to see what I
would be permitted to do. Some other units have the attic
ventilators, and they said they would be willing to allow it if it was
installed by the contracted maintenance company.

On Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:05:51 -0400, "RBM" rbm2(remove
wrote:

I would first check with the condo association to see if they'll let you
cut the roof. I put one in for a condo customer some years ago and they made
him take it out and patch the roof

"Shawn" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

RBM

Those things work quite well, but many are excessively noisy, so if you go
that route, buy the best one you can find and install it in an area of the
roof that's not over a sleeping area

wrote:

I would first check with the condo association to see if they'll let you
cut the roof. I put one in for a condo customer some years ago and they
made
him take it out and patch the roof

"Shawn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Buck Turgidson

Ceiling fan?

Bob

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

Without soffit vents, the powered ventilator will "short-circuit" the ridge
vent. You really should have vents low and high, of about equal area, to get
natural ventilation through the whole area.

If you don't need the air conditioning, you could put a "whole house fan"
into your unit, exhausting the inside air through the attic, thus
ventilating your unit and cooling the attic. You might need some way to
close and insulate the fan opening during the winter. I have a 1 foot "attic
gable exhaust" fan I place in the attic access opening for the summer which
does a very good job of cooling the house. I control it using an X10 remote
control. Just opening the access hatch gets some ventilation going.

Bob

Phil Scott

"Shawn" wrote in message
[...]

Rule 1 in the plumin' bidness... 'what doesnt come in, cant
be sucked out'

Accordingly what ya needs is two vents...near the ridge....
one of them powered... about 100 sq inchs each per every 500
sqaure feet of attic being vented. The vents should be
widely separated ...or the passive vent should be ducted down
about 3'.

Phil Scott

Bobby_M

It's ridiculous that the company that did the roof (and ridge vent) did
not tell the association that the ridge vent is absolutely useless
without a low vent to allow air in. As wind flows over the ridge, it
creates a negative pressure to draw attic air out. Without a way for
new air to get in, the air just sits in the attic. I would seek out a
professional to draft a position letter that you can send to the
association to have them consider retrofitting gable end vents. If they
don't consider doing it in all the units, at least you can make a
better case for allowing YOU to have it done near your own unit.

Bobby

bottom line is ,,you need eve vents . lucas

CWatters

"Shawn" wrote in message
Nate:

Check out: http://hem.dis.anl.gov/eehem/95/951103.html

For example...

"a Colorado family of three who died from carbon monoxide poisoning when an
attic ventilator caused the furnace to backdraft"

JR-jred

In article .com,
"Bobby_M" wrote:

It's ridiculous that the company that did the roof (and ridge vent) did
not tell the association that the ridge vent is absolutely useless
without a low vent to allow air in. As wind flows over the ridge, it
creates a negative pressure to draw attic air out. Without a way for
new air to get in, the air just sits in the attic. I would seek out a
professional to draft a position letter that you can send to the
association to have them consider retrofitting gable end vents. If they
don't consider doing it in all the units, at least you can make a
better case for allowing YOU to have it done near your own unit.

Bobby

I don't know how old the condo is but if it's less than 5 years or so,
your association should be looking to the developer to remedy what is a
significant construction defect.

Otherwise, they should fix the problem themselves. Whatever it costs to
put in soffit vents and baffles in each unit now will be small potatoes
compared to replacing the roof including shingles, sheathing and likely
a few structural members in a few years, and at the same time,
installing the soffiit vents which should have been there in the first
place.

If you're planning on being in that condo more than a year or three, you
might want to start making some noise on this right away or you could be
in for a serious special assessment to repair the inevitable damage.

Ounce of prevention/pound of cure, etc.

--
-JR
Hung like Einstein and smart as a horse