James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Default Cutting Adobes?

Hiya,
Anyone got any tricks and tool recommendation for cutting adobe's? I don't
mind cutting them by hand but not sure what sort of sawing implement I
should use.
Cheers,
cc

Adobe what ? How about a Wet Saw ?

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Adobe blocks. 4"x10"x14" Wet Saw will just make a mess of them. Adobe
and water don't mix too well.
I've seen one guy take an old tine type rake, cut the tines back, and
sharpen them. He used that to cut. I don't have an old rake and I hate
to go buy one! Was just hopeful someone out there might have a different
method.
Cheers,
cc

wrote in message
oups.com...
Adobe what ? How about a Wet Saw ?

G Henslee

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya,
Anyone got any tricks and tool recommendation for cutting adobe's? I don't
mind cutting them by hand but not sure what sort of sawing implement I
should use.
Cheers,
cc

Get it over with. Quickie Saw is one way. Nice'n dry cutting. Rental
yard.
RicodJour

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya,
Anyone got any tricks and tool recommendation for cutting adobe's? I don't
mind cutting them by hand but not sure what sort of sawing implement I
should use.

If you're talking about cutting adobe in place, as in cutting an
opening for a door or window, use barbed wire. Strongly suggest that
you wrap each end around a broom handle - otherwise it smarts. You
need two people, one on either side of the wall and the operation is
the same as the two-person pit saw or loggers saw.

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Thanks R,
I'm actually cutting individual blocks. Some as simple as shortening but a
handful will need an angled cut so they'll but up against the house wall
cleanly (I assume I can just but them up against the house).
Cheers,
cc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya,
Anyone got any tricks and tool recommendation for cutting adobe's? I
don't
mind cutting them by hand but not sure what sort of sawing implement I
should use.

If you're talking about cutting adobe in place, as in cutting an
opening for a door or window, use barbed wire. Strongly suggest that
you wrap each end around a broom handle - otherwise it smarts. You
need two people, one on either side of the wall and the operation is
the same as the two-person pit saw or loggers saw.

RicodJour

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Thanks R,
I'm actually cutting individual blocks. Some as simple as shortening but a
handful will need an angled cut so they'll but up against the house wall
cleanly (I assume I can just but them up against the house).

Use a bow saw like those used for pruning trees.
http://tinyurl.com/bwgaf

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Hadn't thought of that! That'll work I think. And HF has them pretty
cheap so I don't destroy my good one!
Thanks!
Cheers,
cc

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Thanks R,
I'm actually cutting individual blocks. Some as simple as shortening
but a
handful will need an angled cut so they'll but up against the house wall
cleanly (I assume I can just but them up against the house).

Use a bow saw like those used for pruning trees.
http://tinyurl.com/bwgaf

RicodJour

"RicodJour" wrote in message

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Thanks R,
I'm actually cutting individual blocks. Some as simple as shortening
but a
handful will need an angled cut so they'll but up against the house wall
cleanly (I assume I can just but them up against the house).

Use a bow saw like those used for pruning trees.
http://tinyurl.com/bwgaf

Hadn't thought of that! That'll work I think. And HF has them pretty
cheap so I don't destroy my good one!
Thanks!
Cheers,

You're welcome. Have fun with it.

RicodJour

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Yeah, can't wait. 1800 adobes to lay...... Know of a good chiropractor?

Well, at least at the end of the day you'll know you've done some work
in the fresh air. If you're married this is a great time to start
bitching about how having a baby is easy - imagine what it's like
having a baby _every_ day for a week, you'll say! That's what you're
doing laying those adobe block. Should be worth some major points.
Make sure to groan whenever she's within earshot.