SilverUnicorn

Default Basement progress :-)

Slowly but surely!!! Got a new job so I will have 1 week between transition
where I hope to knock alot more out.

Comments, questions, concerns, all welcome :-) Go ahead, I'm thick skinned
:-)

http://flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00/

The space will be primarily a game room. We will have a pool table, bar,
seating area, and I will be putting my pinball machines and arcade games
down there as well. Do it yourself projects really teach you things. I
learned to leave drywall to the pros fro mnow on!

Chris

Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

SilverUnicorn

Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be
Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be crazy
nbot to buy it at that price!

Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
oups.com...
Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

Art Todesco

Just a thought (I didn't read the
original post), you might want the consider
CeilingMax for the grid. It has an
almost zero drop. If you are
height-critical,
this is the way to go. It's a little
pricey, but it does allow for easy panel
removal,
and as I said, almost no loss of floor
to ceiling distance.

SilverUnicorn wrote:
Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be
Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be crazy
nbot to buy it at that price!

Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
oups.com...

Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

SilverUnicorn

Thank you for the idea. I will definately look into that.

Is that available at a big box store like HomeDepot or Lowes?

Thanks!

Chris

SilverUnicorn wrote:
Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be
Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be
crazy nbot to buy it at that price!

Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
oups.com...

Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

Art Todesco

Don't know about HD or Lowes .... I
don't remember seeing them at
HD and the Lowes store just opened a few
weeks ago. But, they have
a website http://www.ceilingmax.com.
BTW, I saw it at Menards ... I
don't know if you have one of those in
your area.

SilverUnicorn wrote:

Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be
Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be
crazy nbot to buy it at that price!

Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
egroups.com...

Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

Chris,

Hi. Did you have much experience before this? I am considering trying this,
but never did any detail work before. Have repaired wooden porches back in
Chicago, but that is pretty rough work.

Just curious what lessons learned in framing and any prep work for
floor/walls.

I don't think the full email thread is on site anymore.

Thanks.

Jim

"SilverUnicorn" wrote in message
Slowly but surely!!! Got a new job so I will have 1 week between

transition
where I hope to knock alot more out.

Comments, questions, concerns, all welcome :-) Go ahead, I'm thick skinned
:-)

http://flickr.com/photos/91696572@N00/

The space will be primarily a game room. We will have a pool table, bar,
seating area, and I will be putting my pinball machines and arcade games
down there as well. Do it yourself projects really teach you things. I
learned to leave drywall to the pros fro mnow on!

Chris

Hi,
I checked the site and it seems like many of the Home Depots do have the
kit. Not all of them, but many.

SilverUnicorn wrote:
Yes. At this point we are planning a drop ceiling. The floors will be
Mowhawk Laminate wood (already purchased at $.89 / Sq ft. We woud be
crazy nbot to buy it at that price!

Thanks for the nice words. Have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
oups.com...

Very nice. Are you doing a ceiling ? Drop Ceiling ?

SilverUnicorn

Ken -

Than you for the constructive criticism. This is indeed the first time I
have ever done drywall of any kind (or wall framing, or anything like this).
I have indeed had some difficulty with the taping, and I feel that for me it
will have been the hardest part of the job. While I am sure the job won't
end up perfect, and I am OK with that, I will use your suggestion to see if
I really bought the farm on any of the walls. That sounds like an easy way
to see bad things before painting.

Thank you for your ideas. Like I said, this is all new to me and has
been quite a long process to this point. I value anyone's input on how to
make things better, or where there is room for improvement. That said,
there's no way I'm starting over :-P.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Chris

wrote in message
On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 07:18:06 -0400, "SilverUnicorn"
wrote:

Slowly but surely!!! Got a new job so I will have 1 week between
transition
where I hope to knock alot more out.

Comments, questions, concerns, all welcome :-) Go ahead, I'm thick skinned
:-)

Okay, Chris, I'll take you at your word.

I'm a little concerned at the width of the taping I see on inside and
outside corners ... may not be wide enough to get a good, clean
"feather".

You might try shining a light down the wall to show up any
imperfections .... you might also prime first (shows up imperfections)
and then re-tape if needed.

If this is your first, second, or even third job like this, it looks
very creditable.

Ken