Eloise

Default Buzzing and smoke puffs

In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

G Henslee

Eloise wrote:
In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Geez.. Ever heard of the YELLOW PAGES? Call an electrician before your
house burns down.
badgolferman

Eloise, 6/15/2005, 10:45:44 PM, wrote:

In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much,
but the smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Hmmm, trolling are we?

--
No matter what happens someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
Wayne Boatwright

On Wed 15 Jun 2005 07:45:44p, Eloise wrote in alt.home.repair:

In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but
the smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Pull the main breaker. You shouldn't have any more problems.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

Greetings,

You probably don't need an electrician. Turn off the breakers one by
one until the buzzing stops. Turn the breaker you just turned off back
on and ensure that the buzzing starts back up. You have now located
the troublesome circuit. Since the buzzing is coming from INSIDE the
box I would suggest that you start by replacing the breaker for the
buzzing circuit. If that doesn't work write back.

Hope this helps,
William

PS: If turning all breakers off doesn't stop the buzzing see what
happens when you pull the meter and write back.

Its the hampsters in there making the electicity. Once is awhile they
stop for a cigarette break (explains the smoke) (they dont all stop
at the same time of you would lose electric)

The humming you hear is the generator that connected to the hampster
wheel. It humms when it runs.

Geeez

Les and Gina

"Eloise" wrote in message
In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but
the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Sounds like a faulty flux capacitor. Or maybe the muffler bearings.

Andy Hill

"Eloise" wrote:
In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Call an exterminator to get rid of the yellowjacket nest in your breaker box?
MC

Sounds like the breaker may not be making a good connection to the buss bar.
Could be a bad breaker.
In any case needs attentions ASAP.

Have seen a few times where the connection from the breaker to the bus bar
starts heating up due to a loose connection sometimes starting to arc under
load and will ruin the buss bar for that breaker location. IF other slots
open caould install a new breaker in a new slot and most of teh time will be
OK if no other problems in the panel or with other breakers.

However, Need to have a qualified electrician check.

"Eloise" wrote in message
In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but

the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Greetings,

Even if you don't have a new slot just try a new breaker in the same
slot. The new breaker might be "tighter" than the old one.

William

CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert

Eloise wrote:
In my breaker box, there is a constant hum noise. Every now and then,
little puffs of smoke come out. The buzzing doesn't bother me much, but the
smoke has a burnt smell to it. How do I get this to stop?

Next to my box I have a small transformer that powers the doorbell. I
was drilling holes in the beam above to run some wire and sawdust fell
on the transformer. This thing then started to buzz. I vacuumed it off
and the buzzing has gone away.

As for the smoke, call a pro.