Mark and Kim Smith

Default Paver Sub Base question

I'm finally getting to a paver job I've wanted to do for a long time. I
picked up a few yards of Class II base ( I guess it's also known as 3/4
crush with stone dust, etc. ) Assuming the grade is firm ( with clay
like soil ), and I lay a bed of approximately 4" thick, how much can I
expect that to compress down to? 1/2", 3/4", 1"?? Reason being, if
it'll compress, say, 1/2" then I want to lay it at 4 1/2" to get my 4"
compacted. I'll be renting a 5 hp reversible plate compactor. Do you
need any more info before giving a guess?? Thanks in advance!!!
Colbyt

"Mark and Kim Smith" wrote in message
I'm finally getting to a paver job I've wanted to do for a long time. I
picked up a few yards of Class II base ( I guess it's also known as 3/4
crush with stone dust, etc. ) Assuming the grade is firm ( with clay
like soil ), and I lay a bed of approximately 4" thick, how much can I
expect that to compress down to? 1/2", 3/4", 1"?? Reason being, if
it'll compress, say, 1/2" then I want to lay it at 4 1/2" to get my 4"
compacted. I'll be renting a 5 hp reversible plate compactor. Do you
need any more info before giving a guess?? Thanks in advance!!!

It has been 20 years since I did this and I could be way off. I think 6"
dry will net 3-4" compacted. You might be able to get better guidelines
from you stone supplier of at the Vulcan materials website. Of course they
are going to quote PSI pressure or compaction density figures.

I do know that the addition of water to the DGA base both prior to and while
compacting it will get the most solid base in the shortest period of time.
It will settle very little after you plate compact it while adding water at
the same time. So even if you have to go over it 2 or 3 times once you get
it right, it will stay that way.

Colbyt