Chucky D

Default Wainscotting..

hello
does any one have any experience with Wainscotting? I would like to
install some on the main floor of my house. I have never done it , I don't
have a table saw but am wondering if the Hardware store I visit will be able
to cut the pieces that I require if I bring them the measurements.

any help will be appreciated
thanks

Joseph Meehan

Chucky D wrote:
hello
does any one have any experience with Wainscotting? I would like to
install some on the main floor of my house. I have never done it , I
don't have a table saw but am wondering if the Hardware store I visit
will be able to cut the pieces that I require if I bring them the
measurements.

No the hardware store will not be able to cut the pieces for you because
they need to be but as you go to assure accurate cuts.

There are different approaches and materials used for wainscoting and
different tools and skill levels may be required. For the most basic type,
you may be able to handle it, but for the more demanding types, judging from
your question I doubt if you currently have the skills.

I suggest you stop by your local library or DIY center and get a book on
home improvements that includes information on wainscoting. It will show
you some ideas and should give you an idea of the tools and skill level
needed.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

cc0112453

I agree with what Joseph said. The Internet isn't the answer to everything.
Some times the good old library is best. They should have some great
reference books on how to do it. Also check your local home supply store.
Wainscoting is very popular and often they sell kits or already sized
materials for doing it. There are many types of wainscoting. I did mine
with lapped wood that I bought in bundles that were cut to size. I bought
several bundles of pre cut verticals and several other horizontal pieces for
the top cap and toe rail. About as easy as brushing your teeth.

Doug

"Joseph Meehan" wrote in message
.. .
Chucky D wrote:
[...]

HeyBub

Chucky D wrote:
hello
does any one have any experience with Wainscotting? I would like to
install some on the main floor of my house. I have never done it , I
don't have a table saw but am wondering if the Hardware store I visit
will be able to cut the pieces that I require if I bring them the
measurements.
any help will be appreciated
thanks

You don't need a table saw.

Take your 4x8 panel, mark it to the right height - something less than 4' -
and, when properly supported, cut it with a circular saw.

Erect the result.

Now here's the neat part: Put molding at the top: "chair bumpers." This will
cover any oddities in the original cutting. And of course you have trim
molding at the bottom.