FREECYCLEMOM

Default Help please

My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when ever you touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal it?

Thanks!
Dan C

On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:35:54 -0400, FREECYCLEMOM wrote:

My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when ever
you touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal it?

Dip the furniture in boiling olive oil. Melted bear fat will work too, if
you have any. Be sure NOT to use peanut oil!

Linux Registered User #327951

PaPaPeng

wrote:

My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when ever you touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal it?

That means the plastic polymer bonds have been broken, likely by the
sun's UV radiation. The damage is irreversible. To extend the life
of the furniture paint it with exterior clear varathane.
FREECYCLEMOM

wrote:

My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when
ever you touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal
it?

That means the plastic polymer bonds have been broken, likely by the
sun's UV radiation. The damage is irreversible. To extend the life
of the furniture paint it with exterior clear varathane.

Thanks. That's disgusting! The set is only a couple of years old and
it wasn't cheap!

SteveB

"FREECYCLEMOM" wrote in message
news:1116617686.4b70a042967ff169c88d22623d85c2fa@t eranews...
My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when ever you
touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal it?

Thanks!

I have been seeing Rustoleum advertising a line of paint that will stick to
plastic. It is worth a try.

Steve

Or was that Krylon?

FREECYCLEMOM

"SteveB" wrote in message

"FREECYCLEMOM" wrote in message
news:1116617686.4b70a042967ff169c88d22623d85c2fa@t eranews...
My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when
ever you touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal
it?

Thanks!

I have been seeing Rustoleum advertising a line of paint that will
stick to plastic. It is worth a try.

Steve

Or was that Krylon?

Ah, ok. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Warren Weber

"SteveB" wrote in message

"FREECYCLEMOM" wrote in message
news:1116617686.4b70a042967ff169c88d22623d85c2fa@t eranews...
My husband just cleaned the deck furniture (plastic) and now when ever you
touch it a powder comes off on you. Is there a way to seal it?

Thanks!

I have been seeing Rustoleum advertising a line of paint that will stick
to plastic. It is worth a try.

Steve

Or was that Krylon?

Steve....It is Krylon, works great. W W

Steve B.

On Fri, 20 May 2005 18:08:55 -0400, "FREECYCLEMOM"
wrote:

Thanks. That's disgusting! The set is only a couple of years old and
it wasn't cheap!

Was it like this before he cleaned it? It could be that the chemicals
he used to clean the furniture damaged the plastic. If it was already
chalky then, as the other poster said, the furninture has been damaged
by the sun.

I've never gotten anything to work once plastic gets to be in this
shape. The powderey residue that comes off on you prevents products
from adhering the chair and it all peels off in short order.

I have had the best luck with aluminum furniture with replacable
cushions. Thsi way every couple years you can throw out the old
cushions and have "new wonderful furntiture". If they are directly in
the weather aluminum with no cushions seems to hold up best for me.

Steve B.