PaPaPeng

Default Deck Materials?

I am going to build a 4 foot high 5 x 12 foot deck to my back
entrance. One side will be bolted to the house frame. Its obvious
that I shall not be able to "maintenance paint" quite a few places
years later once the deck is in place. What is the best practice and
best materials to use so that I don't incur any moisture-buildup or
wood rot problems. Using pressure treated lumber is one idea. What
about puttting a polythene "vapor barrier" where the deck is bolted to
the house? Is there a bolt type that won't rust?

I think there is a specail flashing used for that purpose. It is
L-shapped, One prt goes undet the outside cover of the house and the
other geos horizontally undet the deck planking. Each part of the L is
several inches.

Edwin Pawlowski

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message ...
What is the best practice and
best materials to use so that I don't incur any moisture-buildup or
wood rot problems.

Most recommend coating the deck first, all six sides, before installing the
wood. If you use a good oil like Penofin, it will last for years. Not
being exposed to the sun it will not break down nearly as soon.

Using pressure treated lumber is one idea.

PT is good. For a bit more money, there a Ipe, mohogany, cypress,
redwood, etc.

What
about puttting a polythene "vapor barrier" where the deck is bolted to
the house?

May help. I'd be more concerned about the house than the deck.

Is there a bolt type that won't rust?

Galvanized is good. Stainless steel may be available in that size but I
don't know for sure.

Edwin Pawlowski

"PaPaPeng" wrote in message

Is there a bolt type that won't rust?

Forgot to mention, for decking screws, check out www.mcfeelys.com

borgunit

You can use aluminum flashing to fit under the siding (or whatever you
have) to protect the house and then use treated lumber for the rest of
the deck. They sell galvanized lag bolts for rust (they may even have
stainless - I am not sure).

Deck Damage Emergency Michael Roback Home Ownership 2 May 31st 05 05:48 PM
Removing Mold From Plywood Deck HELP Michael Roback Home Repair 4 February 19th 05 05:25 PM
deck problem John D'Errico Home Repair 3 August 30th 04 12:02 AM
Varnishing a house deck? [deck refinishing] Emily Lattella Home Repair 2 July 16th 03 08:07 PM