miamicuse

Default Wood beam ceiling

I like the look of a wood beam ceiling, like what you see he

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004...anded_1841.jpg

What I don't know is, are these beams decorative or actual structural? How
are they attached to the rood structure? Can they be added on AFTER the
fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Kathy

"miamicuse" wrote in
message ...

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Sanded
_1841.jpg

What I don't know is, are these beams decorative

or actual structural? How
are they attached to the rood structure? Can

they be added on AFTER the
fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we

are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Styrofoam. You glue them up.

miamicuse

"Kathy" wrote in message

"miamicuse" wrote in
message ...
I like the look of a wood beam ceiling, like what

you see he

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Sanded
_1841.jpg

What I don't know is, are these beams decorative

or actual structural? How
are they attached to the rood structure? Can

they be added on AFTER the
fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we

are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Styrofoam. You glue them up.

You are kidding right? They are hanging celing fans and chandeliers off
it...

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004..._Hewn_1870.jpg

MC

The beams can be fabricated after the gypsum board ceiling is in place.

They can be attached to rough nailers that are fastened to the ceiling
joists.
Wiring can be run through them and electrical boxes can be mounted to
the nailers and reached through cut outs in the finished beam.
TB

Olaf

"miamicuse" wrote in message

"Kathy" wrote in message

"miamicuse" wrote in
message ...
I like the look of a wood beam ceiling, like what

you see he

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics20040330/new/Sanded
_1841.jpg

What I don't know is, are these beams decorative

or actual structural? How
are they attached to the rood structure? Can

they be added on AFTER the
fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we

are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Styrofoam. You glue them up.

You are kidding right? They are hanging celing fans and chandeliers off
it...

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004..._Hewn_1870.jpg

MC

They're hanging stuff off of the center beam, which is very structural. It
will be supported well at both ends. The beams attaching to this main
center beam are exactly what I have in my house... and they're styrofoam. I
have a ceiling fan hanging from the center beam in my house too.

Edwin Pawlowski

"miamicuse" wrote in message
You are kidding right? They are hanging celing fans and chandeliers off
it...

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004..._Hewn_1870.jpg

They can be foam, fiberglass, or hollow wood. Can't tell from the picture.
Tap them and you will be able to figure it out. In most cases, they are
strictly decorative and installed after the room construction is finished.

Tony Hwang

miamicuse wrote:

I like the look of a wood beam ceiling, like what you see he

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004...anded_1841.jpg

What I don't know is, are these beams decorative or actual structural? How
are they attached to the rood structure? Can they be added on AFTER the
fact? If so, any idea of what kind of cost we are talking about?

Thanks in advance,

MC

Hi,
Mostly decorative with fake beam.
Tony

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
"miamicuse" wrote in message
You are kidding right? They are hanging celing fans and

chandeliers off
it...

http://vintagetimber.com/newpics2004..._Hewn_1870.jpg

They can be foam, fiberglass, or hollow wood. Can't tell from the

picture.
Tap them and you will be able to figure it out. In most cases, they

are
strictly decorative and installed after the room construction is

finished.

In UK lots of houses have these beams, and theyre almost never fakes.
If you want them you dont need to put anything up, but rather to take
down the ceiling plasterboard / sheetrock to expose the beams you
already have.

You'd then want to finish the underside of the floorboards, either
paint, plaster, put melamine sheet down, insulating board, whatever you
want.

Note if you remove PB and dont finish the boards above, you then have
less fire and sound insulation.

NT