DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   are spiders bad for my house? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/108005-spiders-bad-my-house.html)

[email protected] May 10th 05 02:33 AM

are spiders bad for my house?

Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
home like termites do?

No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
rid of it completely.

What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)

Joseph Meehan May 10th 05 02:47 AM

wrote:
Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
home like termites do?

No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
rid of it completely.

What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)

Frankly they are good for your home, other than they leave webs around
and often piles of empty bug bodies. They eat other bugs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Lar May 10th 05 04:08 AM

In article ,
says...
:)
:) Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
:) home like termites do?
:)
:) No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
:) then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
:) damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
:) those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
:) rid of it completely.
:)
:) What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)
:)

Unless you are in an area that can have dangerous spiders inside they
would be more of a nuisance. They will leave droppings that are a pain
to clean up, especially on hard wood floors. If it is ground hunting
spiders you are seeing a routine yard treatment would be needed.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS

p-nut May 10th 05 05:10 AM

wrote:
Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
home like termites do?

No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
rid of it completely.

What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)

Call an exterminator and have them spray the house or go to your local lowes
or ace and get the stuff to do it yourself.
I have my house sprayed every two yrs by a pro and never have any
bugs/spiders.

My wife flips out when she see's one.

Oscar_Lives May 10th 05 05:28 AM

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 01:45:02 GMT, "toller" wrote:

I have black widows all over the place and love them.

They get pretty horny sometimes!

Norminn May 10th 05 11:57 AM

wrote:
Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
home like termites do?

No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
rid of it completely.

What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)

"Spider problems"? Running around with poison and spraying everything
that moves is a "problem". Spiders (most) eat other critters that you
may not like. If they build indoors and you want them to move, suck
them up with the vacuum. Outdoors? Hose the webs on window frames and
let the buggers go. I suspect I have black widows on the premises
somewhere, as I did at my last house in Florida. Rattlers, too. I have
a friend who found two snakes in her home within a month's time, one of
which was a poisonous coral snake. It was a time of extremely heavy
rain, she lived next to a lake, and he probably got flooded out of his
nest and had to move. Moved into the nearest habitable place that had a
little opening (garage door) with room for him to enter. Just doing
what comes naturally :o)

borgunit May 10th 05 12:57 PM

Generally, they do no harm except for scaring the daylights out of my
wife once in a while. FYI, we flea bombed once in another house we
owned and we noticed that every bug (even spiders) disappeared for
about 3 months after that. Be careful with poisons though, you live
there too you know.

[email protected] May 10th 05 08:16 PM

wrote:

The other day I shook a brown recluse out of a pair a pants I was about to put
on. It was the first one I have ever seen and I hope it's the last.
I have black widows all over the place and love them.

Why do you 'love' black windows? Aren't they very poisionous? What do
they eat around the house? I never leave food around so I don't know
where they are trying to eat... termites? now that'll be nice. ;)

Raymond

Blue May 11th 05 03:58 AM

wrote in message

The other day I shook a brown recluse out of a pair a pants I was about
to put
on. It was the first one I have ever seen and I hope it's the last.

Brown Recluse spiders are *real* bad. I'd prefer multiple black widow bites
to a Brown Recluse bite. I think that if I had your experience I'd
seriously consider moving out of the house.

Do you live in a part of the country where they are common?

xrongor May 11th 05 07:09 AM

wrote in message

Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the
home like termites do?

No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and
then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any
damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray
those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get
rid of it completely.

What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)

call doc octopus and the green goblin?

randy

Blue May 12th 05 05:59 AM

I think spiders are to be observed and identified but generally ignored
otherwise. A rechargeable hand vac is OK for cosmetics. Spraying is just a
waste of time as the spray has to be on the spiders legs to be effective and
if you have it in your sights you might as well suck it up with a vac.
Loxosceles Reclusa/brown recluse/fiddleback/violin spider is just awesome
though. If I thought they were threatening me or my family I would think in
terms of geography.

wrote in message
On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:58:01 -0700, "Blue" wrote:

wrote in message

The other day I shook a brown recluse out of a pair a pants I was about
to put
on. It was the first one I have ever seen and I hope it's the last.

Brown Recluse spiders are *real* bad. I'd prefer multiple black widow
bites
to a Brown Recluse bite. I think that if I had your experience I'd
seriously consider moving out of the house.

Do you live in a part of the country where they are common?

Very common I'm told, but seldom seen. They are called reclusive for a
reason.
This was the first one I ever saw, but I was pretty sure what it was. I
bottled
it and took it to a local college where it was positively IDed.
I've seen pictures of the flesh damage a Brown Recluse bite can cause and
it's
nasty.