Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Robert11

Default Adding An Outdoor Light ?

Hello:

Thinking of adding an outdoor flood light to illuminate
my backyard. Have done a fair amount of house wiring, but
never any outdoor wiring.

It will be very difficult for me to run wires from the "high-up"
flood light thru the wall to where I can put a switch and tap into the AC.

Was wondering about how to run it vertically down the side of the
wooden siding.

a. I guess one way is to use non-metallic emt which I guess they have
available, and some
outdoor water tight boxes for the light mounting, and for the right angle at
the bottom
that will bring the wires indoor.

b. Is it all code permissible to use some kind of outdoor rated NM wire
tacked
to the side of the house without the need for running the wire inside of
conduit, as proposed above in (a) ?
If so, what do I use in the way of boxes ?
Can't quite visualize the type of connector or bushing that would bring the
wire into the
boxes. What would i use with this approach ?

Or, forget the boxes, and just bore a hole thru the siding, and RTV it up ?
But, I guess, I would still want a box for the light to be mounted to. True
?
What kind of bushings with this scheme ?

Thanks,
Bob