R8EDXXX

Default removing compression fitting

I have a leak in the toilet valve. I removed the old valve and put on
a new one, but it still leaks. I think I may have a leak on the copper
pipe, but the nut is attached with a brass compression fitting. How do
I remove this fitting? Thanks for your help.

the ferrell its called is near impossible to get off,, just get a new
copper line , thats what i allways do. there are other types made for it
to. lucas

Nick Hull

In article .com,
"R8EDXXX" wrote:

I have a leak in the toilet valve. I removed the old valve and put on
a new one, but it still leaks. I think I may have a leak on the copper
pipe, but the nut is attached with a brass compression fitting. How do
I remove this fitting? Thanks for your help.

Compression fittings rarely leak, but if you have to change the pipe you
have to cut the pipe between the nut and compression ring and buy a new
compression ring from the hardware store.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
George E. Cawthon

R8EDXXX wrote:
I have a leak in the toilet valve. I removed the old valve and put on
a new one, but it still leaks. I think I may have a leak on the copper
pipe, but the nut is attached with a brass compression fitting. How do
I remove this fitting? Thanks for your help.

If you let any part rotate when you tighten the
nut, you are inviting a leak. Replacing the
ferrule (the ring) probably won't help, you will
also need to cut off the part of the pipe where
the ferrule cinched down or you will likely get a
leak. To remove the old ferrule, put a bit of oil
on the joint and lightly hold the ferrule with a
pair of pliers and rotate and pull. If the nut
was tightened a lot, the ferrule may only be
removed by cutting the pipe behind the ferrule.
Use a special purpose hack saw, or better, by one
of the very short tubing cutters for about $9. If
there is plenty of pipe left just put on a new nut
and ferrule. If you don't have enough pipe, then
solder on a screw fitting.
R8EDXXX

This has turned out to be a disaster. I cut the pipe and reattached it
to the nut with the compression fitting. It seemed to fit fine but
during the night, it came off and water sprayed all over the upstairs
restroom. I shut off the main water valve, dried up the spill and
called a plumber. He said I did not give enough room for the nut and
fitting, which obviously was the case. He soldered a copper adapter
with a threaded end like George said.
Now my new concern is the water that is inside the floor. The bathroom
is upstairs and water was leaking downstairs and water stains are at
different areas of the downstairs ceiling.
Should I remove the linoleum floor upstairs or what can I do to dry up
as much water as possible. I put two fans in the restroom room to
circulate air. I will never again try to be a plumber!!! I learned my
lesson!!

Thanks guys!!

Stormin Mormon

My memory says it's spelled "ferrule".

http://searchnetworking.techtarget.c...283976,00.html
as applied to fiber optic bundles

http://www.bartleby.com/61/imagepages/A4ferrul.html
As applied to paint brushes (I didn't know this one)

Amazing the trivia out there to learn.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
the ferrell its called is near impossible to get off,, just get a new
copper line , thats what i allways do. there are other types made for it
to. lucas

Raptornaut

This
(http://www.plumbersurplus.com/Produc...&Cat=0&Mfr=103)
is what I use. It's called a compression ring puller, and it works every
time.

Do a search for "compression ring puller" and Pasco and you'll find 'em.

[...]
------------------------------------------------ you learned
something, how to fix it. youll do better next time. lucas

George E. Cawthon

[...]

Don't give up on the plumbing. What you need to
do is practice with a fitting on the end of a hose
outside. Just get a transition from hose fitting
to 1/2 copper pipe and go from there. Easy to
test if what you did leaks.

No, don't remove the linoleum, that won't
accomplish anything in getting rid of the water
between the floor and ceiling. It is probably too
late (but better late than never), but what you
should have done is at the downstairs stains is
punch or drill a hole into the ceiling to let the
water out. 1/2 holes will patch easily, and you
need to put kill stain primer over the stained
area anyway.

R8EDXXX

Thanks for all of your help. You guys are right, I did learn something
new.

Stormin Mormon

My Dad reminds me that a ferrule is also the metal tip of a fishing rod
section.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
the ferrell its called is near impossible to get off,, just get a new
copper line , thats what i allways do. there are other types made for it
to. lucas

Charles Bishop

In article , Nick Hull
wrote:

In article .com,
"R8EDXXX" wrote:

I have a leak in the toilet valve. I removed the old valve and put on
a new one, but it still leaks. I think I may have a leak on the copper
pipe, but the nut is attached with a brass compression fitting. How do
I remove this fitting? Thanks for your help.

Compression fittings rarely leak, but if you have to change the pipe you
have to cut the pipe between the nut and compression ring and buy a new
compression ring from the hardware store.

A plumber's supply store will sell something like a puller that will allow
you to take the compression part off, and then you'll be able to put a new
one on.

--
charles
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R8EDXXX
I have a leak in the toilet valve. I removed the old valve and put on
a new one, but it still leaks. I think I may have a leak on the copper
pipe, but the nut is attached with a brass compression fitting. How do
I remove this fitting? Thanks for your help.
We had quite a problem as well. We solved this by leaving the compression fitting and nut on the pipe, and discarding the rest of the old valve, and attaching the newly bought valve to the old compression fitting and nut. After wrenching it really really tight, it worked perfect. Much easier than sawing it off and sodering on a new pipe to add a new fitting. Don't get discourgaged if it leaks the first time, you have to really tighten it good with a wrench.