Oceans 2K

Default Drain tile replacement

Contemplating having interior drain tiles replaced to sump pump. About 40
feet total.
Water in basement with slightly moldy (otherwise sound) walls.
This is quite an expensive project and have gotten a few quotes.

Anybody have experiences with this?
Any tips/advice would be appreciated.

borgunit

Are the tiles collapsed? My retired father replaced the tiles around
the perimeter of his basement. He rented an electric jackhammer ,
broke up the areas he wanted and then added plastic tiles to the
sump. About a two month project on weekends.

Gideon

I'm certain that you saved a fortune. Hiring basement waterproofers
is very expensive because:
1) It is very labor intensive.
2) Many waterproofing companies use the "shotgun" approach -
addressing every conceivable fix in the assumption that they
are going to hit the source of the problem that way.
3) It is a high profit enterprise which capitalizes on homeowner
fears and ignorance.

There are 2 great ways to save:
1) Spend a long weekend doing the work yourself and
pay just the cost of materials.
2) Hire moonlighters. Watch for a neighbor who is getting
his basement waterproofed and approach the crew when
the bosses aren't around. The crew will often do a great
job on a Sunday afternoon for half the cost.

Gideon

=========

wrote in message
On Mon, 09 May 2005 14:41:50 +0000,
lid (borgunit) wrote:

Are the tiles collapsed? My retired father replaced the tiles around
the perimeter of his basement. He rented an electric jackhammer ,
broke up the areas he wanted and then added plastic tiles to the
sump. About a two month project on weekends.

I did this once on a basement that had no sump pump and would at times
get a foot of water in the basement. I busted the floor by hand to
put in the sump pit. After that, I rented a concrete saw and cut the
concrete (2 cuts about one foot apart). Then I broke up those strips
with a sledge hammer, put in plastic drain pipe, gravel, and mised my
own cement. That was over 20 years ago, and there have never been any
flooding since. If I did it again, I would use a jack hammer, and
these days I have my own cement mixer. But even 20 years ago, it
would have cost a fortune to have a company do the job. It cost me a
couple hundred instead, (not including the sump pump) but it's work.

Mark

Oceans 2K

Thanks for info. I'd love to do this myself but this is one of the only
home-improvement tasks that is out of my reach, time-wise and skill-wise.

Orig clay tiles are collapsed/crushed so water builds up against my
foundation on one wall. This causes a small pool of water to seep up
through floor/wall joint for days after a normal spring rain.

.. .