DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Probably a silly paint question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/105626-probably-silly-paint-question.html)

David DeBoer May 2nd 05 08:13 PM

Probably a silly paint question

I am going to paint my basement walls (block construction) I prefer the
look of flat white paint. I have an awful lot of glossy white paint left
over from another project. Is there a way to make glossy paint flat? Or at
least maybe something not as shinny?

Thanks...

Charles Spitzer May 2nd 05 08:57 PM

"David DeBoer" wrote in message
I am going to paint my basement walls (block construction) I prefer the
look of flat white paint. I have an awful lot of glossy white paint left
over from another project. Is there a way to make glossy paint flat? Or
at least maybe something not as shinny?

Thanks...

talc is added to paint to make it flat. the more you add, the flatter it
gets. it'd be a bear to mix it up well enough though.

PhotoMan May 3rd 05 02:41 AM

"David DeBoer" wrote in message
I am going to paint my basement walls (block construction) I prefer the
look of flat white paint. I have an awful lot of glossy white paint left
over from another project. Is there a way to make glossy paint flat? Or

at
least maybe something not as shinny?

Shinny? That's funy. :-)

none May 3rd 05 03:54 AM

On Mon, 2 May 2005 15:13:02 -0400, "David DeBoer"
wrote:

I am going to paint my basement walls (block construction) I prefer the
look of flat white paint. I have an awful lot of glossy white paint left
over from another project. Is there a way to make glossy paint flat? Or at
least maybe something not as shinny?

Thanks...

How about using gloss paint for first coat, (after whatever you're
using to seal the blocks)
Then follow up with flat paint
Chuck

Bill May 3rd 05 05:28 AM

Look for a matte finish sealer. Usually in the faux finish areas of the
home/paint stores.