Barr

Default HVAC Refrigerant indicator

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 13:29:54 -0500, JimL wrote:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:02:29 GMT, Abe
wrote:

What a mess this turned into.

My HVAC service folks don't seem inclined to install anything in the
line.

The "beer can cold" test is interesting. Does that trick work when
heating as well (heat pump)?

I'm wondering if there are other things I could measure with
reasonable results? For example, during the cooling season I could
measure the difference in temperature between the return air and the
cool air being blown out the other side. I say difference because I
assume I can't expect a specific temperature out of the unit all the
time. I wonder if measuring the temperature of the two copper
refrigerant lines would tell me something?

One last thing. I'm wondering if my expectations are too high? Maybe
having the system topped off twice a year is normal? My parents had a
Lennox air-conditioning system (in upstate NY) that they ran a little
bit each summer. The unit ran without needing a charge for over 20
years. The only time they charged it (once) they had to because the
outside unit was being moved to a new location as part of a remodel.
This is why having to see my service person twice a year seems foreign
to me.

Mark.

** Due to SPAM I no longer receive email responses to
** newsgroup postings, so don't bother.

Actually, the "Beer Can Cold" works like a champ 95% of the time.

The hvac girls are saying that only a hack would use it, but they've
probably reached down a few times and grapped the evaporator line on
the condenser to see if it was beer can cold and then made a mental
note that the system is properly charged. It is so damn easy and so
accurate. That's why you should use it first, if you want to know
the condition of your system.

Besides, we are not talking about hvac girls here. We are talking
about customers. Customers who have been screwed by the professional
hvac girls too many times and have seen them on TV hidden cameras
screwing other people.

It's pretty simple to use really.

You see Sir this is what we are talking about. We are talking
about the hacks you see being busted on TV. If I show up at your
house and you have a leak, its fixed period. End of discussion. If
you want to do it any other way call some one else. If I can't
install a refrigeration component without it leaking, I should be
looking for another line of work. The real professionals are telling
you what a Hack is. Listen and learn so when they show up at your
door step you can spot them and send them packing before they cost
you. Some damage that they do, does not show up for months after
ward. In example: continuously running you AC low on refrigerant.

Barry
Barr

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:56:56 +0900, tm wrote:

Barr wrote:
JimL wrote:
Abe wrote:

[...]

I'm thinking of having hvac girls installed. What's that run for a
normal installation? Would they also keep my beer cold?

Very costly, initial cost is minimmal. But, its the the long
term cost that will suck you dry.

Barry

HVAC refrigerant indicator? Abe Home Repair 35 April 30th 05 07:16 AM
HVAC Question Peter H Home Repair 8 February 16th 05 12:40 AM
Checking Air Conditioner in Cold Weather Decij Home Repair 15 January 6th 05 05:12 AM
Recovery and charging of refrigerant (R134A)? Z UK diy 3 April 30th 04 09:32 AM
Residential HVAC contractor recommendation in Houston, TX? TURTLE Home Repair 6 July 24th 03 08:23 PM