longshot

Default Help with ceramic tile

I put tile in my Kitchen a couple years ago & some of the grout has cracks ,
any repair options without digging out the old grout & re- applying it?
Thanks

Rob

This mailbox protected from unsolicited email by Spam Alarm
from Dignity Software http://www.dignitysoftware.com

smyk

if it's cracking it means the substrate is not stable enough.
Unfortunately this means that not only will you have to pull up the
grout but most likely the tile as well.

Your substrate must be built up to something more rigid.

G Henslee

longshot wrote:
I put tile in my Kitchen a couple years ago & some of the grout has cracks ,
any repair options without digging out the old grout & re- applying it?
Thanks

Rob

How bad is it? Is it a spaced joint with sanded grout or a tight joint
with unsanded grout?
longshot

"G Henslee" wrote in message
longshot wrote:
I put tile in my Kitchen a couple years ago & some of the grout has

cracks ,
any repair options without digging out the old grout & re- applying it?
Thanks

Rob

How bad is it? Is it a spaced joint with sanded grout or a tight joint
with unsanded grout?

spaced, either 3/16 or 1/4 I can't remember. there's several cracks but they
are only hairline type. I really wouldn't want to tear it all up. obviously
the floor isn't rigid enough for grout, doesn't surprise me, it's an old
farm house with monster oak beams on 48" centers with 2x12 for subfloor. I
think there's just luan over that, no cement board.

G Henslee

longshot wrote:

Fill in the cracks with siliconized grout. It comes in many colors.