Ranger

Default Extra Wax Ring

In setting a toilet, how would I know if an extra wax ring is required?
G Henslee

Ranger wrote:
In setting a toilet, how would I know if an extra wax ring is required?

If the flange is much lower than the finished floor.
Colbyt

"Ranger" wrote in message
In setting a toilet, how would I know if an extra wax ring is required?

If the flange is not 1/4" above the finished floor most likely you need a
double.

If you don't have to use moderate pressure to get the base of the toilet to
touch the floor you need a double.

Use a standard wax ring on the bottom and one with the plastic collar on the
top. This refers to the flange and not the toilet.

You almost always need 2 if you have added tile to floor and did not extend
the flange.

Colbyt

JimL

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 09:22:26 -0700, Ranger wrote:

In setting a toilet, how would I know if an extra wax ring is required?

You will know by the 'feel' when sitting the toilet. Normally,
there is kind of a cushion squish as the toilet sinks into the wax
ring.

Beeper

There is a product you can buy besides a wax ring. It is like a rubber donut
that you install around the toilet sleeve. When you place the toilet into
the flange, the donut rolls inside the flange to produce a tight seal. I
installed it about a year ago and haven't had a problem yet. I have an
elderly person with bad knees staying with us and the toilet gets "plopped"
on daily. The wax rings just aren't forgiving enough..