Default Problem with 4 cycle weedwacker

I've got a Craftsman, 4 cycle, weedwacker that has a problem with
flooding.

Its very difficult to start and it seems like I just have to 'get
lucky' in order to get it running.

If I stop it, after it is warmed up, I can forget about starting it
again tills it is cold.

So far I have flushed out the gas tank, taken the carburetor apart and
blown it out, checked the needle seat for dirt and it still floods.

A friend, who uses a couple of these with his business, tells me they
have a lot of trouble with theirs flooding, too.

I'm wondering if you have had this problem with yours and have found
a 'fix' for it?

Your help will be appreciated.

Lewis.

**********************

m Ransley

Wirh regular gas-no oil, not premium, no choke, no throttle it wont
start, hot, check for spark when hot. Isn`t it a new unit under
warranty.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't 'think' its under warranty as I bought it used from E-bay.

The previous owner had obviously had some problems trying to start it
as the plastic ratchet in the cranking mechanism was worn out and _I_
had to make a new one. Our local 'factory authorized' repair shop told
me that the ratchet was not available.

It does spark when it is hot.

Lewis.

**********

m Ransley

If it gets spark, maybe it is not getting fuel. Vapor lock, try Either .
maybe a cover can be removed to cool it or a better gas , it isnt
flooding is it.

YES its flooding!!!!!!

Thats the whole issue that I'm trying to resolve.

Lewis.

*********************

m Ransley

Flooding can be caused by a sticking float not closing . or float jet
needle not seating with dirt alowing gas to enter. Is the oil
contaminated, smells like gas, well, Rebuild the carb

You should have just said its flooding

What did you expect from E bay product unseen, something good !

David Martel

He said it was flooding in the very first sentence of his post.

Dave M.

m Ransley

Well I cant read

Sir, with all due respect, here is the first line of my message:-

I've got a Craftsman, 4 cycle, weedwacker that has a problem with

flooding.

I go on to explain that I have flushed out the gas tank, taken the carb
apart and cleaned it, etc.

What I want to do is to find out what is causing it to flood, at which
point I KNOW it will start.

I appreciate you trying to help.

Lewis.

********

m Ransley

Sorry I didnt read fully the first post but I only have ideas no cure.
All my small motors have their own sequence in starting, to much choke
and thats it for a while, each one is different but my most expensive
Sthil is the best . You have to find what yours needs in relation to
choke. A weak yellow spark or bad plug, even new plugs come bad, bad
igniton module could be the cause. Champion has a new plug line that
says Easier starting. If plug is wet when trying a hot start while hot
check for spark with plug removed and its color and strength-length of
spark yellow is bad. I just had a plug wire not fire only when hot, but
fine cold. Ignition modules going bad usualy fail first when hot, even
a plug dropped can first fail only hot so check everything hot. Vapor
lock came to mind but you did say it plug is wet. Small motors, cheap
carbs and parts can be a pain. Be sure choke opens fully, throttle
closes fully and even lean the low speed mix. In the end it could just
be a crappy carburator.

m Ransley

Low engine compression will make starting hard.