DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   low voltage downlight question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/102912-low-voltage-downlight-question.html)

Sleepy Sam April 10th 05 10:49 PM

low voltage downlight question

Hi all.

I have 4 low voltage downlights in the kitchen and one recently blew.

After replacing it, I find that when I turn the lights on in the kitchen,
the 3 that didnt blow come on, and the one I replaced flicks on just a split
second AFTER the other 3.

Why is that? Did I change it incorrectly? Different wattage or voltage? No
idea...

RBM April 10th 05 11:06 PM

There are a number of types of low voltage lamps used in downlights, the
most common being MR-16 halogen. These lamps are wicked hot and tend to burn
the sockets that they are plugged into. When this happens, you get a layer
of this burnt material insulating the lamp from the connections,causing
anything from a slight delay to flickering to not working at all. Some
manufacturers like Lightolier have quick disconnects on the socket leads so
you can replace it easily, others must be spliced in
HTH