Big Daddy

Default Installing Pergo floor

I am getting ready to install Pergo in my kitchen. I have a newer house
and I currently have vinyl in the kitchen. I want to install the Pergo
right over the vinyl and I've heard this is possible, but what I can't seem
to find anywhere is how to level the floor should I have any depressions in
the floor greater than 1/8". I've heard about leveling compound, but would
I apply this directly on top of the vinyl? What is the best way to do this
without ripping up the vinyl? Thanks.

George E. Cawthon

Big Daddy wrote:
I am getting ready to install Pergo in my kitchen. I have a newer house
and I currently have vinyl in the kitchen. I want to install the Pergo
right over the vinyl and I've heard this is possible, but what I can't seem
to find anywhere is how to level the floor should I have any depressions in
the floor greater than 1/8". I've heard about leveling compound, but would
I apply this directly on top of the vinyl? What is the best way to do this
without ripping up the vinyl? Thanks.

Yes, put it directly on the vinyl. I have only
used one brand Armstrong S-194 and it worked very
well. It is like portland cement but dries very
quickly 20-30 minutes open time. In addition to
putting it on chipboard before installing laminate
flooring, I have also put it on embossed vinyl
before installing new vinyl. If you were putting
it down as a skim coat over embossed vinyl and
adding new vinyl you would need to be very careful
to fill all the embossed valleys or the embossing
would would bleed through the new vinyl. But with
laminate on top you don't need to do be that
careful, just level to within 1/8". You need a
concrete smoothing tool and after it dries you
will probably need to sand a bit.

Too bad you don't live nearby, you could have a
half a sack of the stuff. I've only used about 1/6
of the sack on two bathrooms (laying vinyl) and on
a kitchen/dining/hall (laying laminate). Cheers.

Well, I live more than 20 miles away and I put down a Pergo floor in my
kitchen, so I guess that makes me an expert!

Under Pergo, you will need to put a "felt" underlayment. There were
two types, when I put my floor down. One was quite thin (and cheap)
and the other was quite thick (and more expensive). I opted for the
expensive one. I didn't do any leveling. I laid the Pergo over those
old vinyl type tiles that were used in may commercial buildings in the
old days.

AS long as you use the underlayment fabric, I don't think you'll need
to do any leveling, unless it has some REAL dips and bumps.