JustDave

Default Flagpole

The rope broke on our 30 ft flagpole today. Is there a safe, inexpensive way
to get the new rope through the pulley, short of renting a man lift?

The pole is one piece hollow aluminum, about 6" in diameter at the bottom,
tapering down to maybe 3" diameter at the top. It's set 3 to 4 ft deep in
400 lbs of cement. Is it safe for a brave volunteer to shimmy up the pole? I
told him "NO" so far.

Thanks for any advice. Dave

Takoma Park Volunteer Fire Department Postmaster

JustDave wrote:
The rope broke on our 30 ft flagpole today. Is there a safe, inexpensive way
to get the new rope through the pulley, short of renting a man lift?

The pole is one piece hollow aluminum, about 6" in diameter at the bottom,
tapering down to maybe 3" diameter at the top. It's set 3 to 4 ft deep in
400 lbs of cement. Is it safe for a brave volunteer to shimmy up the pole? I
told him "NO" so far.

Thanks for any advice. Dave

You may need to rent a thirty foot A frame ladder. If your community is
served by a volunteer fire department they may be willing to help you
out. It is worth asking even a career fire department but many have
policies forbidding their staff from engaging in such service work in
order to reduce the cost of injury claims. Any sign contractor will
replace it for a fee but one hour of bucket truck service can be pretty
steep. If you know were the eat em up is for local trade people you
could offer a bucket truck crew some money to swing by...
--
Tom H
JustDave

wrote in message news:SCF5e.6266$ox3.959@trnddc03...
JustDave wrote:
[...]

Great idea! We're right next door to the local fire dept and on good terms.
Thanks!

nick pine

Two foot ropes with prusic knots around the pole might help...

Nick

JustDave

"nick pine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Two foot ropes with prusic knots around the pole might help...

Nick

My climber thinks he can make it up there - my concern is whether the pole
can handle the weight without uprooting. That pole will be a long lever if
he ever gets a little off center... Dave

HeyBub

JustDave wrote:
The rope broke on our 30 ft flagpole today. Is there a safe,
inexpensive way to get the new rope through the pulley, short of
renting a man lift?
The pole is one piece hollow aluminum, about 6" in diameter at the
bottom, tapering down to maybe 3" diameter at the top. It's set 3 to
4 ft deep in 400 lbs of cement. Is it safe for a brave volunteer to
shimmy up the pole? I told him "NO" so far.

Thanks for any advice. Dave

Get an extension ladder. Put the bottom of the ladder next to the pole. Get
ten 4' pieces of rope and tie the ladder to the pole as you go up (use a
safety harness).

All of the weight of the ladder and the climber will be directed straight
down and virtually none against the pole.

Duane Bozarth

JustDave wrote:

"nick pine" wrote in message
oups.com...
Two foot ropes with prusic knots around the pole might help...

Nick

My climber thinks he can make it up there - my concern is whether the pole
can handle the weight without uprooting. That pole will be a long lever if
he ever gets a little off center... Dave

He can't possibly be on center...
George E. Cawthon

JustDave wrote:
"nick pine" wrote in message
oups.com...

Two foot ropes with prusic knots around the pole might help...

Nick

My climber thinks he can make it up there - my concern is whether the pole
can handle the weight without uprooting. That pole will be a long lever if
he ever gets a little off center... Dave

Tell him to attach 4 ropes at the 2/3 height and
then have 4 guys hold the pole while he is above
the rope attachment.
Heathcliff

Usually a flagpole is either set in a sleeve, or has a pivot, for
reasons that have now become obvious!

The ladder / fire dept. suggestions sound good. If you must shimmy, if
you have room you could park a car or garden tractor on the cement pad
for further stability.

-- H