Ben Gold

Default who's flue?

Brooklyn, NY. Building is attached on one side. There's a stack w/ 4
openings in between the buildings. One opening is the other building's
boiler flue, the next opening is sealed up, the next opening is a flue
that appears to go all the way down, the fourth opening is sealed.

I want to figure out who's flue the open one is. I don't think it is in
use, and I don't think the owner of the other building will know. Is
there a rule of thumb for how they arranged old flues? doubtful.

Assuming its all sealed up, any way to figure it out?

Eventually I might like to run a hood vent up there, is the main reason
I'm interested.

any info appreciated,

Ben
Dr. Hardcrab

Not mine.

I got a shot back in November.......

Marilyn & Bob

wrote in message ...
Dude, I think you need a flue shot.

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 12:59:31 GMT, Ben Gold
wrote:

Brooklyn, NY. Building is attached on one side. There's a stack w/ 4
openings in between the buildings. One opening is the other building's
boiler flue, the next opening is sealed up, the next opening is a flue
that appears to go all the way down, the fourth opening is sealed.

I want to figure out who's flue the open one is. I don't think it is in
use, and I don't think the owner of the other building will know. Is
there a rule of thumb for how they arranged old flues? doubtful.

Assuming its all sealed up, any way to figure it out?

Eventually I might like to run a hood vent up there, is the main reason
I'm interested.

any info appreciated,

Ben

Ben, all the openings belong to your neighbor. Your chimney is on the other
side of your house . The four openings represent original connections to
the fireplaces on each floor in the same house. The chimney probably
predates central heating and one of the flues was converted to be used by
the boiler when it was installed.
--
Peace,
BobJ

PaPaPeng

wrote:

Assuming its all sealed up, any way to figure it out?

Eventually I might like to run a hood vent up there, is the main reason
I'm interested.

Interesting problem. I would use a air horn and give the flue a toot
to see which end on the other side the sound comes out of.
Ben Gold

That's what I thought at first, but one of the flues that's covered hits
my roof clearly... the other one is not so clear.

Also, I agree that if it were a fireplace flue it would be on the other
side of the roof, near my radiator vent/flue. But wouldn't they have
had flues for the stoves back in 1896? I think so... all the roofs in
the hood have multiple roofed over protrusions that I assume were flues
for a variety of heating/cooking devices.

Anyway, best bet is probably to ask the neighbors and figure out who the
owner is and see if he knows.