DenH

Default Fixing a crushed downspout

Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I ran
it over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have
but it needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other piece.

TIA
JimL

On Tue, 05 Apr 2005 06:58:02 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:37:01 -0500, DenH wrote:

Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I ran
it over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have
but it needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other piece.

TIA

Start by surrendering your drivers license to the nearest D.O.T
office. You are not capable of handling a motor vehicle. Then call
your homeowners insurance and tell them some idiot drove over your
rain gutter. They will file a report. If you have a $100 deductible,
the cost of a new rain gutter is less than $10. You will buy a new
gutter out of your own pocket, and your insurance company will
increase your yearly rates by the amount of difference.
In this example, you will pay $10 for a new gutter, your insurance
rate will increase $90 per year, every year. So, spread out over the
next ten years, that gutter will cost you $900 on insurance increases,
plus the cost of the gutter. A total of $910. This does not take
into account the price you will be paying for cab fare to go to the
store to buy the gutter, since you no longer have a drivers license.
However, you can deduct the cost of gasoline, auto insurance, and car
repairs, since you will no longer need any of them.

Of course there is another option. Simply go and buy a new gutter for
$10, and spend the $900 on corrective driving classes, which you badly
need. If, however, you DO continue to drive, please tell us your
city, state, license plate number and the kind of car you drive. We
all need to know to keep our children at least 100 yards away from
your vehicle, and to not drive our own cars when you are behind the
wheel.

But the old gutter was painted green and the new gutter is white.

Gina and Les Armstrong

"DenH" wrote in message
Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I ran it
over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have but it
needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other piece.

TIA

Snip the new piece down the sides about 2 inches or so. this will allow you
to squeeze the end of the new piece to fit inside the existing piece. if it
will not fit, snip all four sides and you should be able to make it fit.

DenH wrote:
Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I ran
it over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have
but it needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other piece.

Your local box store doubtless has in the HVAC section a special sort of
pliers to crimp duct work so you can insert one end in the other. That
tool will probably do the trick, but for a single use, I'd just fake it
with the hand tools I've got: you know what you want the thing to look
like, so hammer/cut/bend untill it's something like that. It's not the
right tool for the job, but if you're running over the gutters more than
once a decade, you've got more serious problems than I can help you with.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Mean People Suck - It takes two devitations to get cool.
RicodJour

DenH wrote:
Is there a special tool or something to fix a crushed downspout? I

ran
it over with the car. I want to replace it with an extra piece I have

but it needs to me tapered on one end so it will fit in the other

piece.

There are special tools, they're not cheap, and you probably don't need
one. The right thing to do is buy a new section of leader, cut it to
size and paint it. Since you want to save the one you have, take a
needlenose pliers, and twist the sides of the leader mouth. This will
effectively shrink the circumference and allow it to fit into the next,
unadulterated section. Make sure that the uphill section fits _into_
the downhill section, and not the other way around.

DenH

[...]

Thanks for the info, your a real genius!
johnny

wrote

Of course there is another option. Simply go and buy a new gutter for
$10,

Waste of $10. Why would they buy a new gutter, when they need a downspout?

Posted to alt.home.repair

ROTFLMBO! Best. Answer. Ever! πŸ‘πŸ‘ŠπŸΌπŸ‘

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...pout-6448-.htm