DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Paver patio (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/101627-paver-patio.html)

Matt Morgan April 3rd 05 11:00 PM

Paver patio

All,

This post may appear twice, I apologize if this happens.

About 3 years ago, I had a paver (sand foundation) patio put in.

It's about 75' long, by 9' deep.

Problem is that the leading edge ends on a slope, leaving the entire row of
pavers at ground level.

The sand is washing from under the last row; and stepping on them causes
them to collapse to the angle of the slope.

The installers had put in plastic strips along the leght of the leading
edge, secured with 7" spikes.

That solution is failing, and I've a feeling the problem is going to work
its way backwards all the way to the edge of my house.

(Althought the patio is 100% level).

Any ideas as to how I might secure the final row of pavers?

Thanks
Matt

Joseph Meehan April 3rd 05 11:25 PM

Matt Morgan wrote:
All,

This post may appear twice, I apologize if this happens.

About 3 years ago, I had a paver (sand foundation) patio put in.

It's about 75' long, by 9' deep.

Problem is that the leading edge ends on a slope, leaving the entire
row of pavers at ground level.

The sand is washing from under the last row; and stepping on them
causes them to collapse to the angle of the slope.

The installers had put in plastic strips along the leght of the
leading edge, secured with 7" spikes.

That solution is failing, and I've a feeling the problem is going to
work its way backwards all the way to the edge of my house.

(Althought the patio is 100% level).

Any ideas as to how I might secure the final row of pavers?

Thanks
Matt

My suggestion is to get some clay heavy soil to build up around the
patio. You can leave the edging the builder used, but back it up with a
foot of so of heavy clay soil sloping slightly away from the patio.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia's Muire duit

Matt Morgan April 3rd 05 11:34 PM

Thanks Joseph -

But I'm guessing that it will take a WHOLE LOT! of soil to do that, as it's
a fairly steep grade.

But, if thats what it takes, thats what it takes.

Thanks again.

Matt

Andrew April 4th 05 01:21 AM

Bury a few cinder blocks or a row of a retaining wall and cement the last
couple of rows on top. - make you prepare the base with something that will
allow moisture to drain and make you tap it really well.

Thank,s

m...

Matt April 4th 05 01:23 AM

Cool. I like that idea.

Thanks!

m Ransley April 4th 05 12:04 PM

Use a 2x6 treated as your edge, level with the stone