DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Furnace question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/97173-furnace-question.html)

[email protected] March 31st 05 01:27 AM

Furnace question

Got a house I wanna buy and the inspection came back saying, among
other things,

"Burning shield on heat exchanger is cracked. Repair / replacement is
needed."

What the heck does that mean ? Burning shield ? Thank you.

John A. Weeks III March 31st 05 03:43 AM

In article . com,
wrote:

Got a house I wanna buy and the inspection came back saying, among
other things,

"Burning shield on heat exchanger is cracked. Repair / replacement is
needed."

What the heck does that mean ? Burning shield ? Thank you.

Inside of your furnace, there is a combustion chamber where
the fire happens. That chamber is vented up the chimney.
That chamber gets hot, and heats the air that is forced
through your furnace. Moving the heat from the combustion
chamber to the forced air side is the process of heat exchange.

What they are telling you is that the combustion chamber is
cracked, and it could leak fire or gasses (like carbon
monoxide) into the air that goes into your furnace vents.
This is bad, and it needs to be fixed. It is a relatively
common thing on older furnaces. All the hot/cold cycles
causes the metal to fatigue and break after repeated expansions
and contractions.

-john-

John A. Weeks III 952-432-2708

Newave Communications
http://www.johnweeks.com

Don Phillipson March 31st 05 11:26 PM

wrote in message
ups.com...

Got a house I wanna buy and the inspection came back saying, among
other things,

"Burning shield on heat exchanger is cracked. Repair / replacement is
needed."

What the heck does that mean ? Burning shield ? Thank you.

Because you paid for the inspection it is OK to
ask the inspector to explain what he has written.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

v April 1st 05 06:19 PM

On 30 Mar 2005 16:27:23 -0800, someone wrote:

"Burning shield on heat exchanger is cracked. Repair / replacement is
needed."

What the heck does that mean ? Burning shield ? Thank you.

Personally, I am not familiar with the term "burning shield". Why
don't you ask the guy who wrote it, instead of us?