Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default Benefit of water softener?

I am wondering if I need a water softener. I don't mind the residue
left on all glassware and fixtures. It takes extra cleaning but I am ok
with it . My only concern in the scale buildup in pipes. In the long
term will this end up costing me more than if I had just invested in a
softener? I have a new home but am completely clueless about pipe
lifespan.

Thanks!

I remember my grandmother had one even though she was on city water.
My dad tried to explain to me the benefits of her horrible-tasting
water by saying that it would keep the pipes from being clogged. I
think this may have been true back in the days of galvanized steel pipe
material but I've pulled apart a lot of old copper pipe from houses
without water softeners and have not seen any buildup. I'd expect the
same for plastic. So in my non-expert opinion the plumbing will be ok,
it's a matter of personal preference. My personal preference is that I
hate the taste of soft water and don't care if there's spots on my
glasses, I don't want the expense or salt-lugging for a water softener.

Gary Slusser

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am wondering if I need a water softener. I don't mind the residue
left on all glassware and fixtures. It takes extra cleaning but I am ok
with it . My only concern in the scale buildup in pipes. In the long
term will this end up costing me more than if I had just invested in a
softener? I have a new home but am completely clueless about pipe
lifespan.

Thanks!

There are many hidden costs with the use of hard water. Like the additional
cost to heat water (up to 33% of each dollar spent on heating it), premature
failure of water heaters and heating elements, clothes laundered in it
wearing out very prematurely along with most water using appliances and the
degradation of fixtures while scale can cause internal fixture wear/failure
also. So if you have 3-5+ gpg of hardness, it will be costing you more to
live with the hard water than a softener will cost you to purchase and feed
salt to.

--
Gary
Quality Water Associates

seems to me

"Gary Slusser" wrote in message

There are many hidden costs ...to ... a softener ... --

Gary
Quality Water Associates
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Softener Forum www.qualitywaterassociates.com/phpBB2/

Alan Sung

"seems to me" wrote in message

Cheap shot. Gary is an asset to this group and has always provided useful
and factually based information and the fact that he is in the water
treatment business qualifies him even more. He has never used this forum as
a sales medium and his signature only highlights the quality of the
information.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Alan Sung wrote:
"seems to me" wrote in message

Cheap shot. Gary is an asset to this group and has always provided

useful
and factually based information and the fact that he is in the water
treatment business qualifies him even more. He has never used this

forum as
a sales medium and his signature only highlights the quality of the
information.

-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA

Before signing up for a water softener, you should look up the health
benefits of hard water. A good place to start is: www.mgwater.com

eldred30

seems to me

"Alan Sung" wrote in message

...Gary is an ass... and has always...used this forum as
a sales medium ...
-al sung
Rapid Realm Technology, Inc.
Hopkinton, MA