Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Motorman

Default Old GFI outlet doesn't work

I have an outlet by the kitchen sink with a GFI sticker on the
coverplate.
Apperently, turning on our food processor last week caused it to trip.
The problem is that it is seems to be a standard type of outlet, with
no visible reset button. The one by the vanity in a nearby bathroom is
the same, tho it still works. I can't find any reset device in the
basement or at the breaker box. I tried throwing and reseting the
kitchen outlet breaker at the main box, but it did nothing. Any input
would be appreciated. Larry

steve

It is very common for non-GFI outlets to be powered from a GFI outlet
somewhere else in the home.

I would check the entire house for GFI outlets and re-set each of them.

Also I would cycle any circuit breakers in your panel that are GFI
protected.

Best to do this one at a time and mark down which one it is that resets
the outlet in question. You might try plugging a loud radio into the
outlet in question -- that might save you a lot of trips up and down the
stairs.

Personally I would have gladly paid a few bucks more to have the builder
not 'daisey chain' GFI outlets in my house. In one case a GFI protected
outlet in the upstairs bathroom is run from a GFI unit downstairs. That
is a long way to walk to reset it -- even if you remember where it is!

Steve

Motorman wrote:
I have an outlet by the kitchen sink with a GFI sticker on the
coverplate.
Apperently, turning on our food processor last week caused it to trip.
The problem is that it is seems to be a standard type of outlet, with
no visible reset button. The one by the vanity in a nearby bathroom is
the same, tho it still works. I can't find any reset device in the
basement or at the breaker box. I tried throwing and reseting the
kitchen outlet breaker at the main box, but it did nothing. Any input
would be appreciated. Larry

Chip C

Motorman wrote:
I have an outlet by the kitchen sink with a GFI sticker on the
coverplate.
Apperently, turning on our food processor last week caused it to

trip.
The problem is that it is seems to be a standard type of outlet, with
no visible reset button. The one by the vanity in a nearby bathroom

is
the same, tho it still works. I can't find any reset device in the
basement or at the breaker box. I tried throwing and reseting the
kitchen outlet breaker at the main box, but it did nothing. Any input
would be appreciated. Larry

The kitchen outlet is daisy-chained off some CFI somewhere else in the
house. Obviously not one you use a lot or you'd notice that it's dead.
Given that it's not the nearby bathroom, the next best guess is
probably an outdoor outlet or one in the basement. Not the most
convenient setup but folks do it to save the price of a GFI (or maybe
the kitchen box is too small for a GFI).

When you find it, consider replacing the kitchen outlet with a GFI and
rewire the other GFI so that the kitchen is pigtailed on the circuit
but not fed through the GFI.

Chip C
Toronto

Bob Vaughan

In article .com,
Motorman wrote:
I have an outlet by the kitchen sink with a GFI sticker on the
coverplate.
Apperently, turning on our food processor last week caused it to trip.
The problem is that it is seems to be a standard type of outlet, with
no visible reset button. The one by the vanity in a nearby bathroom is
the same, tho it still works. I can't find any reset device in the
basement or at the breaker box. I tried throwing and reseting the
kitchen outlet breaker at the main box, but it did nothing. Any input
would be appreciated. Larry

Have you checked in the cabinet under the sink? there may be an outlet
there for a garbage disposal.

Bob Vaughan | |
| P.O. Box 19792, Stanford, Ca 94309
-- I am Me, I am only Me, And no one else is Me, What could be simpler? --