Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Bill Saxton

Default How Long Should I Keep...

contrapositive wrote:

How long should I keep these items? :

Utility Bills? (Gas, Electric, Phone, Cable, Water, etc.)

Dept. Store Statements (Sears, Macy's, etc.)

And related to credit cards...

Credit Card Statements?

Privacy statements and change-of-terms letters?

Letters confirming balance transfers, increases to credit limits, and other
non-billing-related correspondence?

I tend to err on the side of safety, but I have a fire hazard now. Thanks in
advance.

-jk

My wife died recently and I have been shredding checks, receipts,
credit statements, IRS returns, etc.

I began shredding weeks ago and I still have many more to do.
Save nothing. The banks, credit company keep an archive
of everything you may need, for verification, in the future.

Bill

Money stuff - ditto, I started tossing that stuff pretty harshly and it
hasn't been a problem - bills, checks, the routine stuff, I just keep a
couple months just out of laziness. I don't even balance my checkbook
anymore, what a waste of time.

Keep anything from the credit card company related to a challenged
charge, for a year maybe, just in case.

Keep any legal stuff, like divorce decree, real estate papers, marriage
cert, incorporation, partnership, and any court proceedings that you
might have been involved in.

Also keep current and past 3 yrs of tax stuff handy. That includes all
records of stock sales and purchase and anything needed to substantiate
a multi-year rollover of capital losses (the $3,000 carryover thingy).

Wayne Dalton Torquemaster and iDrive self-Install (Long) Scott Home Repair 3 March 2nd 05 03:34 AM
How long for brick mortar to dry? eggs Home Repair 2 March 15th 04 09:47 PM
Silent thermostat Dave Gibson UK diy 13 January 5th 04 12:02 PM
New bandsaw saga Part I (long) Bruce Woodworking 0 December 30th 03 06:39 PM
Tech Review: Victor's (8liners/Genao) Replacement Arcade RGB Monitor Chassis (LONG) Pac-Fan Electronics Repair 22 November 26th 03 12:56 PM