Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Cindy

Default Manufactured home setup and foundation costs-General q's

My husband and I want put a large manufactured home, two story, on a
lot in McKinleyville California. We are selling the site built home we
currently live in.

I've read alot about these homes, but want to read more consumer
newsgroups, this one in particular. Sounds like if you do your
homework, you will be okay if you choose to buy manufactured.

I would like to know approximately (I know it varies state to state)
what setup fees cost if your area, shipping, etc... Locally I found a
manufactured 2400sf single story for $140,000 and $20,000 for setup,
which I think included foundation, too. I just need something to
compare to.

We are not sure how to proceed with this plan. Though it is a great
alternative for us, because the only way we can afford a large house is
to go with manufactured, it all sounds like a lot of work. Is there a
source online somebody can direct us to that details every step we need
to take before we make our purchase? Any other advice would be
appreciated!

Thank you!!

Cindy

Cindy Olofsson

I just moved out of one that I bought ten years ago.

I think today's building standards are much higher.

They really don't hold up
as well as stick built homes and the dealers are mostly all slime balls.

Well I don't know about that. :-)

Be
sure to have a lawyer look over everything before you sign. Can you get

a USDA
rural development loan?

I've never heard of that so I have no idea how to go about it.

They offer very low interest rates but will not finance
a used mobile home.

We can't afford much more than $1000 a month for a mortgage payment.

Cindy

On 16 Mar 2005 09:29:39 -0800, someone wrote:

We are not sure how to proceed with this plan. Though it is a great
alternative for us, because the only way we can afford a large house is
to go with manufactured, it all sounds like a lot of work.

There aint no such thing as a free lunch. The more you have done for
you the less you will 'save". Nothing anyone does for you as a part
of building your home is for free.

In general, I'd say the cost advantage of a manufactured home is
incremental. If you think its gonna be half the price of a stick
built, either you're comparing apples & oranges, or you are leaving
out something.

Lot, lot development, foundation, grading, utility connections, well
w/pump and power and piping if applicable. Depending on what's
included, the HVAC machinery, steps, porches, etc.

The price of the "home" itself may only be 1/2 or even less of the
total cost. The price to "set" the home is just that, to set it on
the foundation, its not the price of the foundation.

How much "down" were you going to pay? It better be a lot for you to
be able to afford a "large" home for only $1,000/month.

Cindy Olofsson

"v" wrote in message
On 16 Mar 2005 09:29:39 -0800, someone wrote:

We are not sure how to proceed with this plan. Though it is a great
alternative for us, because the only way we can afford a large house is
to go with manufactured, it all sounds like a lot of work.

There aint no such thing as a free lunch. The more you have done for
you the less you will 'save". Nothing anyone does for you as a part
of building your home is for free.

Um, did I say I thought it was free? I don't believe I did.

In general, I'd say the cost advantage of a manufactured home is
incremental. If you think its gonna be half the price of a stick
built, either you're comparing apples & oranges, or you are leaving
out something.

Lot, lot development, foundation, grading, utility connections, well
w/pump and power and piping if applicable. Depending on what's
included, the HVAC machinery, steps, porches, etc.

The price of the "home" itself may only be 1/2 or even less of the
total cost. The price to "set" the home is just that, to set it on
the foundation, its not the price of the foundation.

One company did include it in the price. The utilities will be run off the
existing home that currently resides on the lot.

How much "down" were you going to pay? It better be a lot for you to
be able to afford a "large" home for only $1,000/month.

We're putting $20k down.

Cindy