Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

mike

Default Recessed Light - Shallow Ceiling

I have a problem with light in my kitchen.

I want to put in some recessed lights but have limited clearance.

Above the kitchen is a bathroom with a poured concrete floor. This
leaves me 5" of clearance from the subfloor (planks supporting the
concrete) to the bottom of the joists.

I have found IC recessed lights as shallow as 5 1/4" but that's as close
as I can get. There are non-IC lights that fit in the space but with
only 1" of clearance above (which makes me nervous).

The ceiling is out so I have full access at the moment.

Ideas?

Thanks,
*moc
Speedy Jim

mike wrote:

I have a problem with light in my kitchen.

I want to put in some recessed lights but have limited clearance.

Above the kitchen is a bathroom with a poured concrete floor. This
leaves me 5" of clearance from the subfloor (planks supporting the
concrete) to the bottom of the joists.

I have found IC recessed lights as shallow as 5 1/4" but that's as close
as I can get. There are non-IC lights that fit in the space but with
only 1" of clearance above (which makes me nervous).

The ceiling is out so I have full access at the moment.

Ideas?

Thanks,
*moc

Those "planks" aren't very essential for the floor support.
I wouldn't have any qualms about cutting out circular sections
so the tophat will sit right against the concrete (or below it).

Probably easiest to swiss-cheese the wood with a long drill bit
or maybe a wood-boring spade bit.

Jim
Travis Jordan

mike wrote:
The ceiling is out so I have full access at the moment.

Fluorescent fixtures? Drop the ceiling? Indirect lighting on top of
cabinets?

On Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:54:08 GMT, someone wrote:

The ceiling is out so I have full access at the moment.

Can you furr the ceiling down a bit?