Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Southpaw

Default Water Heater flushed followed by acrid odor

Hey All,

This past week, I drained and flushed my water heater to get rid of a
lot of sediment. When I was done, I refilled the tank, and turned
thepower back on. Later on that evening, I went into the laundry room
and notice the most acrid odor. At first I though a mouse had got in
the room and died. After reading some posts on the newsgroups, I have
come to the conclusion that this is the nasty sulphur smell that
everyone associated with chemical reactions in water heaters. I ran
the hot water out of it about 3 times to no avail. I was looking at
some options and was wondering your opinions on the most successful??

Why has it NEVER smelled like that before(even after a drain/flush 2
years ago) but this time it does??

Should I

1) Permanently remove the anode rod and replace with a plug?

2) Pull out the anode rod, dump a cup of chlorine bleach inside, and
reinsert the rod?

3) Drain and flush the tank with a hose after pulling the anode rod
out??

Thanks
Mark

Speedy Jim

Southpaw wrote:

[...]

Depends. I had a lot of sulfur odor (well system) due to
iron bacteria growth. I kept the anode rod and chlorinated
the water- problem solved. There are so many different causes
of the odor though that it is a stab in the dark ...

YMMV

Jim

Speedy Jim

Southpaw wrote:

Jim,

Did you do the chlorinate the water through the anode hole??

Initially I did something like that, maybe once a week.
It worked so well, that I cobbled a chemical injection
pump to feed a few drops into the well storage tank every
time the well pump runs.
Jim

Water heater leak? Jim Z Home Repair 1 July 18th 04 01:57 PM
Power cost of idle electric water heater Phil Sherrod Home Ownership 50 April 2nd 04 04:55 PM
Poor hot water heater performance dperez@juno_nospam.com Home Ownership 3 October 24th 03 03:21 PM
Cost to install gas hot water heater Walleye Home Ownership 8 September 10th 03 03:20 AM