DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How to install hardwood on a rough floor (https://www.diybanter.com/home-ownership/82452-how-install-hardwood-rough-floor.html)

[email protected] December 20th 04 08:13 PM

How to install hardwood on a rough floor

I have been installing hardwood for customers for a few months and
things have been going well but seems I met my first challenge. When I
installed 4" wide 3/4" thick mahagony flooring there is excessive
height difference, maybe upto 1/10 of an inch in rare cases, between
adjoining boards.

I investigated and found this is due to the chipboard (3/4" OSB) floor
being very rough. Even though there is 1/5" thick plywood on top of the
OSB the problem persists. To correct the problem do I sand the OSB
floor or smooth it with floor leveling compound?
Or is there another solution?

Donald Guzzetta December 20th 04 09:43 PM

use self leveling latex and sand smooth this should take care of most of the
problem. The latex is much easier to sand then the osb. I assume most of the
flooring is T&G

ups.com...