Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Default How to install hardwood on a rough floor

I have been installing hardwood for customers for a few months and
things have been going well but seems I met my first challenge. When I
installed 4" wide 3/4" thick mahagony flooring there is excessive
height difference, maybe upto 1/10 of an inch in rare cases, between
adjoining boards.

I investigated and found this is due to the chipboard (3/4" OSB) floor
being very rough. Even though there is 1/5" thick plywood on top of the
OSB the problem persists. To correct the problem do I sand the OSB
floor or smooth it with floor leveling compound?
Or is there another solution?

Donald Guzzetta

use self leveling latex and sand smooth this should take care of most of the
problem. The latex is much easier to sand then the osb. I assume most of the
flooring is T&G

ups.com...