Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Janet

Default New refrigerator noise

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

Thanks!

Leroy Mowry

"Janet" wrote in message

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.
During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.
Thanks!

I don't know about replacing the compressor motor or such
but I also bought a Whirlpool years ago and it's so loud that I
couldn't sleep. And it runs everytime I open the fridge. I was
hoping an Alaskan bear would make off with it. The previous
unit I had was super quiet and never cycle on and off every
time I open its door.

William W. Plummer

Leroy Mowry wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.
During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.
Thanks!

I don't know about replacing the compressor motor or such
but I also bought a Whirlpool years ago and it's so loud that I
couldn't sleep. And it runs everytime I open the fridge. I was
hoping an Alaskan bear would make off with it. The previous
unit I had was super quiet and never cycle on and off every
time I open its door.

We bought a Kenmore a few months ago. It makes a lot of noise.
Annoying, but I don't know if there is anything to do.
Appliance Repair Aid

William W. Plummer wrote:
Leroy Mowry wrote:
"Janet" wrote in message

[...]

Hi,

Might be best to call and have them check the unit and noises out, esp
while still under the warranty ( if it is ).

http://www.applianceaid.com/images/fridgenoises.JPG
Some common noises refrigerators make.

Model 64252.

Not a model#, Kenmore model#'s are more like 123.45678910 or 123
45678910

http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html

Some model# helps, if needed.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

TURTLE

"Janet" wrote in message ...
I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

Thanks!

This is Turtle.

Scrapping sound NO , Fluid sound YES.

Check the Condenser Fan under the back to see if it is hitting the edge of
housing or too much dust on the blade to make it snap back and forth to make
this scrapping noise. The fluid sound you can get from any of the boxes.

TURTLE

willshak

On 12/10/2004 9:37 AM US(ET), Mark took fingers to keys, and typed the
following:

"Janet" wrote in message ...

I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

That's got to be a Kenmore feature. I'm extremely unhappy with my 4 year old
one. Every single cycle it makes scraping and vibrating sounds at startup.

It's gotten to the point that I'll get up and go kick the damn thing rather
than waiting 30 seconds for the noises to stop. This works about 1/2 the
time.

I've had soooo many problem with Sears appliances that this is the last one.
I'll never buy another major appliance from them.

I'm planning to replace this fridge after the new year on the first sale I see
(excluding Sears).

Make sure that it is not from the same manufacturer as your Kenmore.
Sears does not manufacture their own appliances (or much of anything
else). They just have the GE, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, or other
manufacturer, put a Sears/Kenmore/Craftsman name on them.
My Kenmore side by side refrigerator/freezer is made by GE. If I want to
know if it is running, I have to put my ear near it or feel it for
vibration. It is 9 years old.
Appliance Repair Aid

Hi,

http://www.applianceaid.com/searscodes.html

Sears is a department store. They do not build their own appliances.
They contract the other manufactures to build all of their appliances.
This chart will help you determine who actually built your appliance,
then you can choose the manufacture from the chart on this page.
jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/

pe

We noticed same thing with Kenmore fridge purchased almost 2 years ago. It
is the model with freezer on bottom and pantry doors above. A sort of
metallic wheezing sound intermittently. Called for warranty service, and
the service guy told us it was noise caused by the refrigerent passing
through the transition from large to small (or maybe small to large) tubes,
and that there was nothing wrong and nothing to fix. Except for that
annoying noise, the unit has been working flawlessly since purchased. PE

"Janet" wrote in message ...
I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

Thanks!

Janet

Hi Ron, the refrigerator doesn't have an ice maker. (We steered clear of that
option).

Ron wrote:

Ice maker producing ice?

"Janet" wrote in message ...
I have a fairly new Kenmore (Whirlpool) 20.6cuft refrigerator, Model
64252. I know that newer energy efficient refrigerators can make
strange sounds, but I'm concerned about mine.

During the first few minutes after the compressor cycles on, there are
sometimes strange sounds ,almost like scraping, in addition to the
normal refrigerant sounds. Is this normal? It doesn't happen all the
time but it does happen fairly often.

Thanks!

Janet

pe wrote:

We noticed same thing with Kenmore fridge purchased almost 2 years ago. It
is the model with freezer on bottom and pantry doors above. A sort of
metallic wheezing sound intermittently. Called for warranty service, and
the service guy told us it was noise caused by the refrigerent passing
through the transition from large to small (or maybe small to large) tubes,
and that there was nothing wrong and nothing to fix. Except for that
annoying noise, the unit has been working flawlessly since purchased. PE

Perhaps that is the same noise that I am hearing on my Kenmore/Whirlpool. The
20.6 cu ft refrigerator has worked fine so far (it's 2 months old) and it is
an Energy Star model so it is using a lot less electricity than our 20 year old
clunker. Aside from the annoying noise it sometimes makes within 30s of
cycling on, it is generally pretty quiet.