Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

John‰]

Default year built error?

In article 1098032702.MbSX2C5bl3+wVaTrIMsVMQ@teranews,
wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a house but contingent on inspection so I still
have an easy out. Looking at the county assessor's tax records for this
house I
see that they say it is 10 years older than the seller claims. Hmmmmm

Building Quality is Poor as well ..

Building Type: House
Building Style: 1 sty
Building Quality:Low
Building Condition:Fair
Foundation:Concrete Block
Exterior: Siding/Stucco (Lap)
Roof Cover:Compositon

An old trick is to take the cover off the toilet tank; most have the
date of manufacture stamped or engraved on the inside.

A house built in 1985 shouldn't have a toilet manufactured in 1974.

John
shinypenny

wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a house but contingent on inspection so I still
have an easy out. Looking at the county assessor's tax records for this
house I
see that they say it is 10 years older than the seller claims. Hmmmmm

Building Quality is Poor as well ..

Building Type: House
Building Style: 1 sty
Building Quality:Low
Building Condition:Fair
Foundation:Concrete Block
Exterior: Siding/Stucco (Lap)
Roof Cover:Compositon

Perhaps the house was renovated or rebuilt on the same lot 10 years
after the original house was built? Maybe the original house was
destroyed by a fire 10 years in?

I've noticed that tax assessor records aren't always up to date. There
are several houses on my block that have been reno'ed, attics
finished, and had additions built on years ago, but the tax assesor
database still lists the data for the pre-reno'd structure. If this is
the case, it is something to consider because it's likely if you go
through with the sale, the tax assessor will finally come out and
re-assess your taxes, which is what happened to us. We bought a
renovated condo in what was previously listed as a multifamily, poor
condition, two finished floors, two total bathrooms, four total
bedrooms. The reassessment was based on condo, above average
condition, four finished floors, six bathrooms, eight bedrooms. Big
difference!

jen

On Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:31:39 GMT, someone wrote:

The tax records should be regarded as conclusive. I'm quite sure that the
county cannot collect tax on a house that doesn't exist.

??? What is on a record card TODAY is conclusive of nothing. It
doesn't tell you what they collected tax on back in 1935. If the Sq
ft was wrong to, would you say that the assessor's card makes the
house a different size because they can't collect tax on sf that is
not there????

Does the age listing even purport to be the actual age, or is it the
effective age (for valuation purposes)?

A finally, WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE - on a house that is either 59
or 69 years old, poor quality, fair condition - isn't present
condition what controls? Would he offer to pay more if it was 5 years
newer but everything the same? Actually, because of the years
involved, there are ways for a knowledgeable person to venture a good
estimate - consruction customs "before the war" and "after the war"
were different.

But still, SO WHAT - was he ever really buying it based on its year
built?

-v.
Al Bundy

wrote:

I'm in the process of buying a house but contingent on inspection so I still
have an easy out. Looking at the county assessor's tax records for this
house I
see that they say it is 10 years older than the seller claims. Hmmmmm

Building Quality is Poor as well ..

Building Type: House
Building Style: 1 sty
Building Quality:Low
Building Condition:Fair
Foundation:Concrete Block
Exterior: Siding/Stucco (Lap)
Roof Cover:Compositon

An old trick is to take the cover off the toilet tank; most have the
date of manufacture stamped or engraved on the inside.

A house built in 1985 shouldn't have a toilet manufactured in 1974.

John

The toilet "trick" is not a very reliable one as the older the home
the greater chance of a replaced toilet. However, it's still a
possible tool.

How did you ever get this far on the purchase when the quality is so
bad in your observation? I guess anything goes at the right price.

Tracy

A house built in 1985 shouldn't have a toilet manufactured in 1974.

Unless, the toilet needed to be replaced when low-flow toilets were
the only type available, and the owners scrounged up an older model
instead. Wasn't there quite a black market in older toilets soon after
the low-flow laws passed?