Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Anne

Default Zinc anode oil tank protection?

I just switched oil companies. Like other oil companies, the new
company offers, for $24.95 a year, protection for your oil tank that
involves dropping a pellet inside the tank that helps prevent
corrosion. Is this a ripoff, or is it worth the money?

Anne
John Davies

On 15 Oct 2004 10:20:28 -0700, (Anne) wrote:

I just switched oil companies. Like other oil companies, the new
company offers, for $24.95 a year, protection for your oil tank that
involves dropping a pellet inside the tank that helps prevent
corrosion. Is this a ripoff, or is it worth the money?

If your oil tank is immersed in sea water I would strongly recommend
the anode. Just dropping a zinc into a tank is worthless - it has to
be in intimate electrical contact with the metal tank, and the tank
has to be in contact with a fluid that conducts electrons (like salt
water).

http://www.capsante.com/Articles/how...cial_zincs.htm

"For a zinc anode to provide any protection, it must be in electrical
contact with the metal being protected. The conductivity of the water
is not adequate. We need low-resistance, metal-to-metal contact-either
by mounting the zinc directly to the metal being protected or by con-
necting the two with a wire. A hanging anode can provide protection if
it is connected by a wire to the metal being protected."

Also read the "How much zinc" section.

Maybe if they suspended a _large_ zinc with a wire which was properly
grounded to the tank opening.... No pellet is going to help.

Still not necessary IMHO.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732
http://home.comcast.net/~johnedavies/
'96 Lexus LX450
'00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro
Spokane WA USA
Anne

John Davies wrote in message . ..

If your oil tank is immersed in sea water I would strongly recommend
the anode. Just dropping a zinc into a tank is worthless - it has to
be in intimate electrical contact with the metal tank, and the tank
has to be in contact with a fluid that conducts electrons (like salt
water).

http://www.capsante.com/Articles/how...cial_zincs.htm

Thanks so much for the info. I did a little more research, and I think
underground tanks, too, can use the zinc anode. Mine is above ground,
in my basement, so it's unnecessary for me.

Anne