Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Don Phillipson

Default Tiling the tub

Before I ask for quotations . . .
The task is to tile a bathroom with a Jacuzzi
tub 20" high now surrounded by wood paneling
to 46" high. We want waterproof tiles to say
6 ft. high so adults can shower in this tub.

Can tiles be added without removing the tub?
Or do we need to remove the tub, build tiled
walls down to the floor, then reseat the tub?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Robert Allison

Don Phillipson wrote:

Before I ask for quotations . . .
The task is to tile a bathroom with a Jacuzzi
tub 20" high now surrounded by wood paneling
to 46" high. We want waterproof tiles to say
6 ft. high so adults can shower in this tub.

Can tiles be added without removing the tub?
Or do we need to remove the tub, build tiled
walls down to the floor, then reseat the tub?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Do not remove the tub. Pull off the paneling and install durock or
other backerboard on the walls with a waterproof membrane such as
30# felt behind it. Tile the walls and caulk the joint between the
tub and the tiles.

--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.
Bob

"Robert Allison" wrote in message

Don Phillipson wrote:

Before I ask for quotations . . .
The task is to tile a bathroom with a Jacuzzi
tub 20" high now surrounded by wood paneling
to 46" high. We want waterproof tiles to say
6 ft. high so adults can shower in this tub.

Can tiles be added without removing the tub?
Or do we need to remove the tub, build tiled
walls down to the floor, then reseat the tub?

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs
(Ottawa, Canada)

Do not remove the tub. Pull off the paneling and install

durock or
other backerboard on the walls with a waterproof membrane such

as
30# felt behind it. Tile the walls and caulk the joint between

the
tub and the tiles.

And make sure the tiles come down in front of the tub drip edge.
A friend of mine is just getting ready to have the walls rebuilt
because hers was done with standard wallboard with the tile
coming only to the top of the drip edge.

On my friend's tub, it looks like it was designed to be set tight
against the studs, with 1/2 inch concrete board giving the right
overlap for the tile over the drip edge.

Bob

Greg S

I would use polyethelene sheeting-- one conintuous piece from the drip
edge of the tub up to the top of the planned tiled area. Attach the
poly sheeting to the studs with staples and overlap it over the drip
edge (some people even like to seal the plastic to the drip edge with
roofing cement). Install the durrock over the poly sheeting and
overlap it over the drip edge as well, being sure that it doesn't
actually touch the top of the tub (to prevent water wicking up the
edge of the durock-- not that it's all that absorbant to begin with).
Then install the tile over that... Some people like to use roofing
cement to seal all the staple holes in the poly sheeting, but I think
that's excessive....

Good luck!!1

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message ...
Before I ask for quotations . . .
The task is to tile a bathroom with a Jacuzzi
tub 20" high now surrounded by wood paneling
to 46" high. We want waterproof tiles to say
6 ft. high so adults can shower in this tub.

Can tiles be added without removing the tub?
Or do we need to remove the tub, build tiled
walls down to the floor, then reseat the tub?

kris

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message ...
Before I ask for quotations . . .
The task is to tile a bathroom with a Jacuzzi
tub 20" high now surrounded by wood paneling
to 46" high. We want waterproof tiles to say
6 ft. high so adults can shower in this tub.

Can tiles be added without removing the tub?
Or do we need to remove the tub, build tiled
walls down to the floor, then reseat the tub?

Don

You've gotten some great advice so far. Here's another place to go for
a detailed drawing. Go to National Gypsum at www.nationalgypsum.com
then, go to resources, go to gypsum construction guide, scroll down to
"PermaBase Cement board", download this file 394kb, it has a detailed
drawing of your application.

Good luck
kl